Introduction+WinME is seriously troubling me

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovalamp

Beta member
Hi everyone,

Since this is my first posting, i might as well introduce myself. Im prasanna and currently doing comp sys engg in UniSA in Australia...apart from that there isnt much to know abt me bar the fact that im a cricket nut.

Now we have that out of the way, i am having VERY VERY serious probs with WinME.

Firstly on my desktop computer, some times win Me just crashes...its going on fine and suddenly boom...when i press CRTL-ALT-DEL...the blue screen comes up BUT...IT HAS STRANGE CHARACTERS ALL OVER IT...ITS MEANT TO BE SAYING "SYSTEM IS BUSY" but ends up saying "&*^#BS&^P*"....u get the point...when i go to restart, the same problem appears but now its ALL OVER the startup screen...im forced to turn my computer OFF for abt an hour b4 i can use it again...CAN ANY1 PLEEEEASE help???????????

My specs are as follows

PIII 1000
128 MB SD133
40GB (partioned into 5GB C and 35 GB D)
NVIDIA GEFORCE 2 64MB

SECONDLY, i had a dell latitude which was running on W2K until recently. Since i couldnt get past the startup screen, i reformatted the entire disk, and then decided to install winme....the problem now is two fold....

1) the computer WILL JUST NOT BOOT...it comes up to the WinME screen and after that just goes dead....it boots up in safe mode but when i restart it legit (ie ALT-F4...restart)...the same problem occurs....however, it starts up fine after abt 8-10 attempts...many a time i wanted to get a hammer...

2) it wont recognise the Xircom Carbus 10/100+56K modem no matter what drivers i load into it...it still comes up in the device manager thingy as "Unknown device"

the specs for my laptop are:

Celeron 500
128 MB ram
8 MB Video card (ATI rage i think)
5 GB

thanks for any help offered and im looking forward to knowing u all

prasanna

Truthfully I would recommend getting off WIN ME all together. It really is unstable operating system :( What happens when you boot off the WINME disc? I'm not too familiar with that OS and recoevery tactics. What are some options laid out at boot?

Also I'm curious when you say a you're a cricket nut? Do you collect like a entier farm of them or something? Is it true they stink really bad when you have over 200 of them? I wouldnt be able to stand all the chirpping..

Win2kpatcher said:
Also I'm curious when you say a you're a cricket nut? Do you collect like a entier farm of them or something? Is it true they stink really bad when you have over 200 of them? I wouldnt be able to stand all the chirpping..

cricket as in the game of cricket!!!

MicroBell said:
So you now have this garbeled screen on both PC's? Is this ME CD legit..or a burnt copy? Boot into safe mode...and look in device manager for any conficts. Do either of these PC's have a componet or two in commen? (Exp... Same Video Card, Modem...ect)

the two computers dont have anything in common...they are two independent computers...btw do u want me to go into safe mode for both the computers and check for conflicts or...

the copy of win me is absolutely legit and the garbled screen only comes on the desktop

Originally posted by Win2k patcher
aghhh you must forgive me, I grew up in the ghetto..lol What exactly is it?
go to www.cricinfo.com

You should have stayed with Win2k.

Windows 98 and ME are notorious for their random screw ups, have you tried re-formatting/repartioning the drive and starting all over?

Did you get any error messages during the install of the OS?

Yeah, ME is one of the worst OS's ever put out.

I worked on it for about a year, and any system that give you the Blue Screen of Death on the first boot definatelly has something wrong with it!!

I'd definatelly recommend an upgrade!

Get rid of ME, I used it for a year and it never stopped crashing, your better off with windows 95. I would recommend that you get xp for the common user or 2000 for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom