No Power to Motherboard to Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfritsch

Beta member
I built my own computer last summer and it overall runs very well. I am having one problem: sometimes, it won't turn on. I have a case that allows me to see inside through the side panel, so I can see that when I turn on my surge protector to the computer, the green light on the motherboard doesn't turn on. It isn't getting power. Eventually (after turning on and off either the power supply or the surge protector) the green light does come on and I can turn the oomputer on. Once on, it runs fine. However, it just doesn't like to turn on. Usually when I first turn on the surge protector, a fan will start. On subsequent tries, the fan doesn't turn on. Power supply problem or something else?

I would try a simple test....if you have another PSU laying around or in another puter (could be a friends) power your system up wiht that PSU. If it routinely powers on and off it's the PSU. If you experience the same problem with a different PSU you are having voltage issues with the mainnboard(bad or failing system capacitors). If you have a digital voltmeter around I would check the voltage to the greeen primary lead on your twenty four/twenty pin mainboard connector and see if you have resting 5 volt power to your mainboard( If that lead is routinely 10% under your mainboard needs to become a frisbee). If you don't know what I'm talking about here then jsut do the PSU swap and that will give you a good starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom