New build! Just a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedcrusha

Beta member
Hi im working on building a new machine (gaming rig) and just wanted to know if theres a high performance mobo out there that has agp as well as pci-e. Reason being i have a 6800 gt and its pretty new for me so i want to burn this one whilst saving for an 8800.

Im going to get a e6400, 2gb of corsair ram ddr2, 320 gb sata hdd, and a mobo witch supports agp as well as pci-e and has some ide sockets as i have 3 hdd in my current machine and would like to get some use out of them.

So if anyone could stear me in the right direction they would be greatly appretiated.

And also im planning on oc,ing my e6400 so i need a mobo that has a max fsb of about 1064 (i think), and aslo max mem of about 8 gb.

You're not gonna be able to find a motherboard with AGP and and PCI that supports conroe processors. There's only like 3 and I don't think any of them are good boards, you could just get a low level PCI E card and use that to hold you over until you get enough money for the beast. Also the only motherboard you're gonna find that supports 8GB is a server motherboard, which you're looking at about $300+ for a good one. If you're looking for a good core 2 motherboard the gigabyte DS3 seems to be the board of choice right now. You'll be able to get some really good clocks out of that CPU on just about anything you plop it in so don't worry about the board limiting it, unless you get a really crap one. Your choice of ram looks good and you really can't go wrong with a hard drive, unless you're looking for a certain amount of cache'. Every motherboard still has IDE sockets so don't worry about that either.

agreed with /\ there are no dual slot board that support Conroe. You'd even be hard pressed to find an AGP slotted that supports Conroe. maybe you could sell your GT now and use it towards a new card?

I would not get that board that you found on ebay. The ad says it only supports DDR memory not DDR2. While DDR memory is ok, it is quickly becoming obsolete. This will severely limit your upgrade capabilities and your speed capabilities.

for ide purposes go with msi 975x its one of the only boards i can find that have more then one ide slot and more then one pci slot

Seems good to me, I don't know what the exchange rate is though so I can't really tell you if it's a good deal or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom