Upgraded computer doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Laymon

Baseband Member
I have just upgraded my girlfriends computer for Christmas and it doesn't do anything :(

It's a new mobo : Abit GD-8 Pro
New processor: 3.2Ghz Celeron D
New Graphics Card: Inno3D 7300 LE
New RAM module: 1GB Kingston

There are no beeps what-so-ever form the mobo but the lights on it work
There is no info getting to the monitor, the light stays yellow

I did notice when installing the mobo that it works with 2 (4) dual channel RAM slots, is this causing the problem as in I have only used 1 slot rather than 2 ?

I also noticed that the graphics card should be a PCI Express 16 card but it doesn't mention this anywhere on either the box or instructions. It just says PCI Express.

Any help much appreciated :)

what does the manual say ? more than likely if there are 4 slots and it is ddr2 you will need to have 2 sticks of ram. Having said that most motherboards will beep with out ram.

Start from scratch. Pull everything off the motherboard except the CPU and CPU fan. Make sure you have the front panel connectors set correctly. Power the system on. The cpu FAn shoud spin. Once you acheive that + result. Put in the PCIe video card and 1 gig of memory. The system should now power on and you should be able to enter the BIOS. Make sure that you have connected the 4 pin 12v rail or the system will not power on as that is the CPU's juice!!! If the system will not power on with all the peripherals disconnected, then remove the motherboard and make sure you do not have a metal stay improperly placed and shorting out the mobo. Other than that....you may need to RMA that motherbaord!!

OK I'll strip it down and start again from scratch.
The CPU fan and video card fans were spinning, the four pin 12v rail was connected properly (or at least it clicked into place), but the screen remained blank :(

Well I stripped it all down with only the CPU and fan. The fan spun.
I then inserted the video card and 1GB RAM card. Both the CPU and the video card fans spun. Nothing else happened, I couldn't enter the BIOS because the screen remained blank and no beeps what-so-ever from the mobo :(

One of three things are happening here. The video card is bad, the CPU was improperly installed and has a bent pin, or the mainboard is a frisbee. Pull the CPU and carefully check the pins (P4 or AMD) if it is a 775 Intel chip then the pins are on the mobo and need to be observed witt a magnifying glass. This is problematic as, even if there are not bent pins, you would need to place the CPU and Video card into a mobo that you know is working to see which of the three components are bad: If you place the Cpu in a working mobo and nada, it's the cpu. The same goes for the video card. If the cpu and video card are good then the mobo needs replacing. I hate it when that happens!!!!

I decided to take the tower with the parts, to the shop I bought the parts from. The took an hour to tell me it was most probably the chip. They gave me a replacement chip, which I dutifully took home and placed into the tower.
Guess what, same damned thing, no post :(
The shop is now shut till tomorrow so back we go again :(

Took the parts back to the shop and after a few minutes of testing they came back and told me that although the motherboard supports that chip it doesn't support that particular chip core. They swapped the motherboard for a similar model that did support the chip core. They also tested it to make sure it did work and gave it me back.

I took it home and so far so good, it's up and running :D

Richard Laymon said:
Took the parts back to the shop and after a few minutes of testing they came back and told me that although the motherboard supports that chip it doesn't support that particular chip core.

Darn rookies. They shoulda checked that the first time.

Although I had to go back to the shop on two occasions I can't fault the men behind the counter. I chose the mobo, chip, and RAM without asking questions. I just naturally assumed that a 775 chip would work with any 775 mobo, oops.
Since none of the products were faulty, they could have charged me £35 for the tests but they didn't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom