Important question about wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphy235

Solid State Member
My girlfriend called me today saying that she thinks someone hacked her network. Anyway, is it possible to track the computers on a wireless network and, if so, how? Thanks for any help.

Why does your GF think that her PC was hacked ?
It is something along the lines I am now trying to learn. I do not have all the peices yet, having said that, there are softwares that can detect penatration of your network, there are logs in windows for file monitoring and settings in MMC. I used to have a firewall that would tell me if ports were scanned, by pinging the ip of the scanner, which is not a real good idea since it tells them definately someone is there. There are some security web site that will tell you what ports are open. like this
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
there are hacking ways to get past firewalls. There are also new malware called rootkits, that can subvert windows API or even the kernl. Winternals has a free program that will deteck some common rootkits , called rootkit revealer. I do not think there is a way though after the fact. Hackers usually like to leave a way back in, so ?

If someone used her wireless LAN to hack her computer, it would be almost impossible to find the hacker. Knowing that most computer user have no intrusion detection software installed. At least over the Internet it would be a little more easier to track but not on a wireless LAN, anyone with a mobile laptop can do a war drive around your block, than you'll never see them again.

murphy235 said:
... is it possible to track the computers on a wireless network and, if so, how...

Yes and no.... In most router configuration pages, you will get a list of attached hosts, and the IP address assigned to them by the DHCP server, but you won't be able to 'track' where they are, unless you have multiple access points, and the software to do it... It IS possible to triangulate position with multiple AP's, but it is more pain/trouble/money/time/etc. etc. than it is worth for a home network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom