Is it pointless to buy a videocard before DX10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyITR

Solid State Member
I was going to build a descent gaming PC and I'm wondering now if I should wai until Direct X 10 comes out with Vista. Is is pointless to be buying a videocard at this point?

Thanks

Well, if you want to be able to use your monitor, you need a video card.

And the 8800GTS and 8800GTX are already out, they support DirectX 10, so I can't see any reason not to get one just because DirectX 10 isn't out yet. It's not like it won't work with DirectX 9. Another thing - DirectX isn't the almighty power of the universe, it really isn't that big of a deal. Direct3D and OpenGL are just libraries that allow a program to send instructions to the video card. The part about a game that makes it look good are the instructions being sent, not the method at which they are being sent.

Crysis isn't going to look good because of DirectX 10, it is going to look good because it uses a very sophisticated rendering engine, which sends instructions to the video card that make the video card render a realistic image.

All the screenshots and videos we've seen of Crysis so far have been DirectX 9, and when it comes out, it is going to look fantastic on DirectX 9.

So go buy your 8800GTS or GTX and play your games and just rememeber that DirectX 10 is not the almighty power of the universe.

Lets say I get a ATI X1950 pro or some mid level video card. When DX10 comes out does that mean I cannot upgrade unless I change the card? Sorry for the newbie stupid questions....I just remember trying to upgrade to DirectX9.0 a few years back.

DannyITR said:
Lets say I get a ATI X1950 pro or some mid level video card. When DX10 comes out does that mean I cannot upgrade unless I change the card? Sorry for the newbie stupid questions....I just remember trying to upgrade to DirectX9.0 a few years back.

No, you can't run Direct3D 10 on a DX9 card. But games that use DX10 should be backwards compatible with DX9 cards, kind of like how DX9 games now still work on DX8 hardware, you just don't get all the pretty DX9 graphics.

If I were you, I'd just save my pennies and get a DX10 card. :)

Thanks for the advice. Actually I think I'll get a XFX Gforce 7900GS. I've been reading the reviews and its fantastic. Also I don't think DX10 cards will be affordable for a good while.

DX10 cards are currently way overhyped and overpriced. Sure, they give you 400fps at high settings over 200fps, but the slight noticeable performance gain you get should really be negigable for thrice the price of a decent dx9 card.

It will take at least three years in my opinion before games require a Dx10 card, and by then there will be much more choice and at much nicer prices. There is no need at all to rush into getting a Dx10 card now because it happens to be a thing of the future.

It's like buying a PS3 two years ago. Say it would have cost you $1,500. It is very expensive and it can only play PS2 games. But what it does play, it loads very quickly.
Of course this is different from video cards and pc gaming, but it still illustrates the point: there's no need to spend a lot of money on something you can't take advantage of (yet). Once you do need to buy a Dx10 card like the 8800GTX, it will be priced so low that you will get the money back you spent on that 7900GS (or equivalent).

Phrantic said:
Sure, they give you 400fps at high settings

Pics or it didn't happen
emot-v.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom