8900gtx???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
Does anybody know if Nvidia is coming out with an 8900gtx or the equivalent? If they are, does anybody know when they are going to be released? I guess I don't exactly care about the exact date but I want to know if it is coming out in the near future or if it will be a while before it is released because I am planning on ordering parts within the next few days.

Thanks a lot
Merry Christmas

Oh there probably will be an 8900GTX but not until they become affordable. Right now the 8800GTX costs about $600 and Nvidia wouldn't want to make their cards more expensive than that. What I do know is that they're focusing on releasing lower-end 8-series cards next year, so that's their main concern; releasing more affordable cards. So I don't think they'll be making a more expensive card anytime soon but in the future it's the next logical step.

Not just that, but the 8900 prolly won't be that much more powerful for the wait.

And although I don't always believe any of the sources, it seems kind of logical since the R600 is to come out jan/feb that a more powerful G80 is out as well, according to some techy websites.

I heard from a guy that the 8900 GTX is going to require a quad core? I don't know how smart he was but he seemed pretty knowledgable.
How could it require a quad core though? Maybe he meant that the 8900 GTX is going to be so powerful that it wont be any better than 8800 GTX because of a CPU bottle neck? And you'd need a quad core to realize the full potential of a 8900 GTX?

lazer_viking said:
I heard from a guy that the 8900 GTX is going to require a quad core? I don't know how smart he was but he seemed pretty knowledgable.
How could it require a quad core though? Maybe he meant that the 8900 GTX is going to be so powerful that it wont be any better than 8800 GTX because of a CPU bottle neck? And you'd need a quad core to realize the full potential of a 8900 GTX?

That would just be stupid on nVidia's part if it required a quad core. I wouldn't believe that at all. Is the R600 gonna be faster than a 8800gtx or are they just gonna be about the same?

I think I will just get an 8800gtx and either get an 8900gtx later or just wait til the 9 series comes out to upgrade. Maybe I can find enough money to get another 8800gtx for sli. That would be pretty sweet.

Thanks for all the help guys.

i think the 9 series will be a long way away. look how long it took them to go from 7 series to 8 series.

So far from what the rumors tell, the R600 could easily be more powerful. It is going to use GDDR4 memory (2.0GHz or higher for sure, they say it can easily reach 2.4GHz and then some), and it's going to be on a 512-bit memory bus. Not to mention the amount of transistors are going to be pretty similar to the 8800GTX.

The R600 is going to dominate the G80 (and even the "G81") in terms of memory, GDDR3 is already at it's limits. The interesting thing is, is that ATI will be using the standard 512/1024 memory sizes because they are going to be using 512bit which is more standard kind of number (not sure if they will go to 1GB on their Radeon series or not), while Nvidia is using their weird memory bus speed on 640MB. The sad part is, is that ignorant buyers are probably going to buy the 8800 just because it will have more memory, and automatically think it's faster. And the whole 7800GTX 512MB phenomenon doesn't help this situation.

The speculation has a firm belief that it will defiantly have 128+ pipes, but the question is if their going to have the unified architecture like the G80's; or if it's going to have physical pipes.

It could easily go either way, that's why I'm waiting this out, and just settle for a 7600GT which has an incredible price/performance ratio.

I'm sure nvidia is probably worried what ATI has under the hood of the R600, so I wouldn't be surprised if their aiming on releasing the "8900" cards probably around Q2 2007; but that is my guess.

very doubtful. unless he works for nVidia and knows something we don't then he must be pulling your leg. there is no information about an 8900GTX let alone hardware requirements for it.

the word bottleneck is thrown around far too lightly. people make it sound as if if you don't have a top notch system you won't see any benefit from a top notch card. it's still a load of crap. every time someone tries to prove these bottlenecks they either show a bunch of evidence that contradicts them which they subsequently ignore in their conclusion or they use very specific examples that aren't common place.

the fact is cpu bottlenecks are only truly noticeable at low resolutions. at high resolutions the graphics card becomes the bottleneck for performance and any processor above say 3000+/3GHz in performance will show maybe 0.5-1% difference between high and low end models. people consistently confuse cpu bottlenecks (which do exist fairly regularly) with cpu to gpu bottlenecks which are rare. the average cpu bottleneck occurs in situations where the cpu is relied upon to make many calculations such as in the presence of many AI characters. HOWEVER that SHOULD NOT be confused with the processor bottlenecking the graphics card.

with that i bid you all good evening, step into my flame suit and recline with a glass of scotch. as i sit in waiting for the inevitable response debating my point. i sit comfy in the knowledge i have tried to impart my wisdom and through no fault of my own someone has failed to take heed......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom