Computer won't read DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett56

Beta member
I have a Windows XP, and everytime I put a DVD in the DVD Drive, it doesn't read the disk. When I go into my computer and click on the DVD drive, it says to insert a disk even though there is already one in it. Does anyone know if this can be fixed, and how?

Is this a new IDE drive? Sounds to me that you have to set that DVD jumper to cable select. If it is jumpered correctly, go into the bios and see if you Mobo recognizes the drive. If not, recheck the jumper settings and reseat the IDE cable. Otherwise, your DVD drive is now a frisbee!!!

Thanks for the reply Rico. I'm not that great with computers, so could you tell me how to do the things you recommended. I really appreciate it. ;)

This may sound dumb, but are you sure it is a DVD drive? It may say CD/DVD drive in My Computer, but not be a DVD drive. Do you know the model of the drive? Also is the DVD disk itself bad? And do you have DVD software installed?

Open the case and remove the DVD drive. If you look at the pins for the jumpers you'll see this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-4.html

now make sure that the IDE cable is securly attached to the motherboard. When you boot your computer after reinstalling the DVD drive, keep hitting the del button as the system first powers on and that will take you into the bios. look at the main bios screen and look down untill you see secondary IDE drive and your DVD shold be listed there. If it is, reboot and check My Computer, once you are logged on, and your DVD drive icon should show up. Put in a DVD and see what happens. Let me know and I'll ehlp if it is not recognized.

I didn't try what you said Rico because I think it's broken. The DVD drive makes a clicking sound when I put a DVD in.

unless your going to get a specific speed, or want a higher memory cache... yes, most drive are the same... most have 12-18 speed dvd burner, 2MB Cache, some have a DVD-RAM capability...

but for the most part if you go to newegg and look up dvd+rw you can pick the from that page without going to deep. brand is dependant to you... SONY, NEC, Lite-On, Pioneer and are few of the good ones... of course any company can make a lemon, doesn't matter who it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom