Is Reformatting Harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copying an MP3 is more harmful than formatting the hard disk. Installing XP is equivalent to copying lots of MP3's, though.

I had to reformat quite frequently due to a faulty power supply that came with my cheap case. It caused crashes which corrupted system files, and would cause BSoD's all the time. I don't believe it harmed my HDD 's any...I haven't had any problems with them.

Yeah, I format about every month, makes the PC alot quicker. As for damage to the hard drive, by the time it starts failing, it will be worth about 2 pence! Yes if you did it 10 times a month, then it would sure put strain on the hard drive, and it would probably damage it quicker than normal, but otherwise, format away!

I do it about once a year, no sooner as my pc doesnt need it.
I use it every single day aswell so im not quite sure why anybody here would do it more than once a year unless you install loads and loads of programmes that bog your pc down

Actually, formating on older drives can be harmful if it is done via a debug and added wear and tear decreasing the MTB life. Just a FYI type thing.

talldude123 said:
I've made a record. Five months without a reformat. My computer is just too fast.

You have a single core Athlon 3500+ with 1GB of RAM. How is that "too fast" ? And what does the speed of your computer have anything to do with the need to reformat? We have a 266Mhz P2 with 64mb of RAM at work that hasn't been reformatted for 6 years ... It's running Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom