Windows XP Home Crash (running Knoppix) HEELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaTephi

Solid State Member
Hi everyone Here's a sad story you've read 100 times. I took my WORKING computer into the shop to test the video card, and they said windows had device manager errors and they would need to wipe it and start over (for $150 UNDER WARRANTY!) GREAT! I said no way and took it home. NOW it won't even START in Windows! Returned to the store and they replaced the Motherboard in "good faith". Whatever, still won't start.

So I loaded my knoppix CD to save my Data they were going to charge $45 to save. My question is :

WHAT KIND OF DIAGNOSTICS CAN I PERFORM FROM KNOPPIX?? I know how to do the Hijack this procedure, but will that software work from this OS? Or do I even need it?

THANKS A WHOLE LOT!
TEA

why don't u just reformat it urself after you get ur saved data from knoppix? or just try a system restore with your windows cd and not the full reformat. also why the **** would the replace the motherboard if windows wasn't starting?? sure i could see the device error but i dont think that it would be the motherboard probally a bad driver or something like that. you would think the motherboard would be one of the lasts thing you would replace.

well first of all knoppix is free. It can save your data. its like a bootable operating system on a cd.

did you try last known good configuration? can you get into safemode?

Tried to reboot to windows safe mode, and last known configuration, & regular, but it shows a video card screen (just installed) , and Hyper 2200 (motherboard?) then back to start options (safe mode, etc.). Maybe the video card was the cause of all this?

They replaced the motherboard because the computer wouldn't beep (upon startup). I don't have the system CD to reboot windows, but a friend does, and he said I could use it. All I have to do is find the product Key and I'll be good. I still think they did something to my windows, so I would have to re-purchase.

Also, If I download some drivers for the video card, maybe windows will boot up? Just a wild guess.
Thanks for your help
Tea

I'm also looking into erd commander 2005 to see what I can do with that. Thanks for the tip!! PC World link doesn't work for me, is it because of knoppix? Do you have a good link for this program? Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom