Defragmenting???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubz

Banned
Ok, I admit that I am new to this "defragmenting harddrive stuff" so, I am just asking what this actually does, and if it has a chance of accidentally removing games that you have on your PC?

So the questions for those of you who didnt read the above ;)

1. What is defragmenting?

2. Is there any chance that it will "accidentally" remove any applications/PC games that I DONT WANT REMOVED. ??

and a new question:

3. How much of a performance increase will I see after doing so?

Thanks for any help! (and sorry for this newbish topic) :)

-Chubz

1. Defragmenting is putting all the things which belong to each other together, then it takes less time to find them.

2. No.

3. Differs per system and how much you system was fragmented.

Tip: If you want Windows XP to boot faster, you should use BOOTVIS, you can really see the difference.

fragmentation is when parts of files are at completely different areas of the hard drive, and takes the HDD longer to access all of it
defragmentation sorts all the files so that they are "contiguous" - meaning all the files are put together in their own parts of the hard drive, so the hard drive reads all of the file at once, rather than moving the read/write heads constantly to get to other parts

if the defragmentation program crashes, and it hasn't yet written the data that it is moving, you can lose parts of files, and can cause Windows or other programs not to run properly, or at all

when defragmenting, make sure that you have closed any unneccesary services or programs to reduce the chance of crashes

Yes, all these techies are correct. Defrag is good especially if you download alot or install alot of new software that way you can put the files that belong together, together.

Chubz said:
3. How much of a performance increase will I see after doing so?

If you system is pretty new, not much. A few years ago with your early P-III and lower, it did make a difference.

Now days, the only time I defrag is after a have been going large file movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom