Travelling with a Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dussault

Beta member
Hi :)

I'll be leaving for India, bringing my laptop with a small (28gb) HD, so I'll want an external HD for more space and I'll keep a copy of all my important things on both HDs, in case something fails. While I'll be living for a over a year in the country, I won't be living a stable life with an apartment where I can just keep my fragile things. So, I'm not sure if a typical HD will be enough (it's possible to connect it through USB 2.0), or if I need to use a HD specifically designed to be portable (such as this*). Keep in mind the dust and heat of this country, as well as how irresponsible I am with fragile things.

Thank you for your time,

*I'm not actually considering this specific external HD; it has a bad reputation.

The reason as to why I am not sure as to what I should do is that I do not know if external HDs are built more solidly or if they are just like normal HDs + IDE to USB 2.0 and power supply + the case. If this is the case, I would get a better deal just buying the 320gb seagate, buying the wires and power supply to turn it into an external hard drive and buying or making a small case to put it in.

when the hdd is off it can take a lot more abuse than when it would be on, so u should be fine, hdd's are pretty tough. and external hdd's are a little tougher, if you factor in the plastic shell around them, and whatever shock absorbing mechanisms inside of it, it may have. u would be better off gettting the premade external.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom