One USB 1.1 Port, Many Possibilities??

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
Alright this is what I want to do, I have this crappy Thinkpad T21 that I'm gonna end up using as my permanent computer until summer rolls along, this is what I want to do though.

I have ONE USB 1.1 port on this machine, located in the back of the computer, I alreayd have a wireless adapter plugged into it so its taken up, If I buy a USB hub, like a 4 port hub or w/e, and I plug in an external harddrive and the wireless device, can they both send and recieve at the same time? Speed isn't much of an issue since most of the time I'll be running things OFF of the harddrive instead of dragging it onto my desktop (music, word documents, etc.), and can I comfortably surf the internet without noticing any problems?? Its kind of a weird situation but hey, what can you do ! :p

might be a little slow at recieving data, but adding a 4-port switch for router, HD, and MP3 player should be fine. Just try to not use 3-things at once!

Also make sure the drivers are updated on the laptop.

But the WLAN will always be working, like at all times, and I'll be using the HD pretty much at all times too, can the USB port support that or will I notice a difference?

Wow, that's alot of stuff on your USB hub. And the problem is; you use it all at once!

I have 6 USB 2.0 ports on my mobo, 2 on a PCI card, and three up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom