installing Win 98 SE on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakhvirk

Beta member
Hi there, I have laptop, IBM Thinkpad 570 2644-AIU, without CD Rom, but has a external floppy drive. The laptop hard drive has been formatted, and need to be reinstalled Win 98 SE, how can I do it without any CDRom drive? I do have a desktop pc. I'm totally at lost as to what to do. Any suggestions, advice, very much appreciated from a computer novice. thanks.

no easy way I can think of other then copying the win98 installation files to floppy's and copying them to your laptop HD, and then install.

Not sure if this would work with 98 but I've used this with Windows 3.0/3.1 and I think 95....
Use winrar to compress and span the Windows 98se installation files into 1.38mb archives. Then copy them over one by one with floppies and decompress them into the same folder using Winrar's dos version. Once done run the install or setup program (can't remember which name it is) from that folder and you should be able to install windows. Obviously you'll need dos on the laptop to get this to work. If you don't have a copy just download FreeDOS.

Or the easier way is to buy an old external cd-rom drive that uses paralell cable. You can get one on ebay for maybe $20.
Or I suppose you could also track down a copy of Windows 98se on floppies on ebay too.

Thank u everyone for responding...

well, I'll be surfing the net to get hold of any win 98 se on floppies. thanks again for all the advices.... by the way, Happy Holidays!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom