editing bios causes lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevermore

Baseband Member
I had to install a new mobo & psu because my last psu melted my mobo. Fortunately, a friend had the same mobo and didn't need it anymore, an ASUS a7n8x-e deluxe. I bought an Antec 480 truepower supply. No other hardware has changed.

When i boot the computer, it works fine (i reset the cmos before my first boot). The problem is, whenever I edit anything in BIOS, the computer wont boot. I get fans and lights, but no beeps, no audio, no visual, nothing. Even if i dont actually change anything in bios, but just hit 'save and exit', it will still cause the problem. I have to reset the cmos (with the jumper) to 'fix' the problem.

This sucks because the defaults set my cpu to 1050 mhz, half of the stock speed. HELP!

the rest of my pc:
amd barton 3000+
2xMushkin 512mb 5-2-2-2 ddr400
ati 9800 pro
cd-rw, dvd-rw, 2xsata hdd (hooked up to on-board sata)

Thanks for your time.

*edit* it also seems to be happening if i get to windows and then restart, but I can restart as much as i want before i get to windows, as long as i dont edit anything in BIOS.

Swapped it with the one from my other board, still the exact same problem. Thanks for the idea though, It made sense to me. :)

Any other suggestions would still be much appreciated.

hmmm i don't know about solving the issue but i recall that model board had some FSB override jumpers on it. the reason the clock speed is going down would be the FSB halving itself. if you can force a higher FSB by changing the jumpers maybe you can at least get around that issue. you may also be able to use software overclocking tools in windows to put the clock speed to stock.

hmm....it melted the mobo. how in the **** did u acomplish that? u need to teach me!!! i got a few pc's that need of disposing...well, the no boot on bios change, possibly the video card, but then again, first thing i think of when i imagine a melted mobo is one **** of a banged up cpu...so see if you can get ur hands on another cpu and try to boot with that, if same thing happens, try a diff video card, maybe pull a stick of ram and try again, trial and error will show the faulty part.

I checked that jumper, and it is in the correct spot for 266/333/400 fsb. I tried using speedfan to set the fsb back to 200(400), and it gave me a blue screen of death. I suppose this could indicate a screwed up cpu. also, i swapped out the ram, videocard, etc, and tried booting, didn't help the problem. don't have an extra cpu though.

any other suggesions, or advice on a different clock modifying program for windows, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom