Do i need to reformat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j12

Daemon Poster
I am currently using a ECS P4M800-M7 (V3.1) motherboard. and i want to upgrade to an ECS P4M800PRO-M (V2.0). the first motherboard is older and the main difference between the two motherboards is that the second one supports core 2 duo's. i was wondering if i upgraded to the second motherboard would i need to reformat my computer. because the two motherboards are exactly the same except the second one can support core 2 duo's.

Well only way to tell is to swap motherboards turn it on and see what happens. If it doenst boot or gets errors, needs a reformat. If not then you are good

yea i was thinking the same. so just try it and if it works good and if it doesent backup my files and reformat.

Ya just back up your files before you try anything. If it says do a repair install or anything just reformat, repairs will slow performance a lot of the time.

anyone else have anything to say about this. i plan on doing this tonight.

so it seems like i will need to reformat. :(

Stop.

No, do not reformat before you install the new motherboard.

Install the board, and if you keep crashing to the blue screen in windows, THEN reformat. For example, I have had friends that have upgraded just the motherboard to a different model of the same brand, while I upgraded from an ECS with an ATI chipset to an eVGA with a Nforce chipset, so windows was REALLY confused.

My other suggestion: Have you already bought the board yet? If so, congratulations on your new mobo, but if not, I suggest well, anything but ECS. From my experience, their customer support and construction quality absolutely suck, especially when you can get comparable boards for the same price.

Hope I was able to help you out.

Dex

thanks dex for all the help. the 6300 and the crap motherboard was a combo deal for $170. so i bought it. i will get a new motherboard sometime soon. yes i already knows that ecs sucks @$$ but it was a good deal. i have had several ecs motherboards and maybe 1in3 of them have no problems. and i didnt even know ECS had customer support and the construction looks the same and as good as every other motherboard.

i will be upgrading my motherboard from a via chipset to another via chipset and both of the motherboards are identical, same brand same series etc. so i guess there is some grim hope that i will not need to reformat.

yep i just changed mobo and proccessor and i did not have to reformat. i did it all without a hitch. as you can see i redid my sig a little. its a very noticeable performance increase from my pentium 4 506. now i only concern is overclocking because i have DDR400 ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom