Building a Media Center PC for an Elder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord AnthraX

Fully Optimized
Well My dad is good freinds with our neighbors down the street and apparently they were going to buy a new computer, until my dad informed them of a different approach.

Short Story I need to build a media center style PC for 600 MAX.

I have the following parts that Im going to use.

Intel Pentium D 805

Enermax 485 PSU with 22A on dual 12V's.

1GB of Crucial DDR2 533 Ram.

160 GB IDE Hard Drive.

So I should be able to EASILY fit this into the budget. I was thinking some stuff along these lines:

Motherboard

Video Card

CPU Cooler

CD RW Drive

The total for all that is 194.00

How does it look?

My only concern is a case.

I like the media center cases, the motherboard would fit in them as well, but Im worried that:

A. The PSU wont fit into them.

B. The CPU cooler will be to tall.

So yeah.

Im trying to keep it as cheap as possible. She just uses it for Picture editing, Movies, Email and the internet.

Well I can tell you there's no need to waste 70 dollars on that video card, the motherboard you chose has onboard video. Not to mention that card isn't much better than onboard and I doubt they'll be doing anything too graphically demanding. You shouldn't have a problem fitting a PSU and I doubt the Zalman wouldn't fit in a reasonably sized case.

do you really need to buy the zalman hsf. the pentium d 805 already comes with a stock fan....i guess if you are worried about the head from the 2 prescott cores. everything else looks good.

The buy a low profile ZALMAN 8000 and get this Cooler Master CAV-T04

I have the same build only done with Pentium 4 parts and it's slightly shorter than a standard size receiver or theater in a box setup. the only thing your going to have to worry about is the quality of the person's TV. if it's older, then the video doesn't matter. it will still look like crap. You might want to ask Bigbaddog about the case. He sells Cooler Master cases, so he might be able to get you one for a little cheaper... Don't quote me though... :D

Eh nukem I think my definition of Media Center is a little different.

I guess I ment she is going to use it for stuff like pictures, movies, and internet and stuff. I just wanted to get a media center style case becuase they look simple and small.

Sorry about that heh :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom