Turning on pc - unusual response

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_gee

Beta member
Hey,

ive recently finished building my new pc (ive built a few before so would not consider myself a newb at this), but everytime i turn it on the power led and HDD light come on, all fans turn including cpu as if its booting up then it turns off/lights go out and fans stop, it seems upon the cpu fan stopping it then turns on again itself and boots normally and is fine until i turn it off again and back on it goes through exact same procedure. At first i thought i had a dodgy psu but on unplugging everything apart from mobo/cpu incase too much power being used and then trying a different psu in the setup and getting exact same scenario ive decided its not a psu fault. Therefore do i have a faulty or loose component/mobo or is this a bios setting im unaware of causing this?

Windows XP
ASUS P5B mobo
Intel E6400 cpu
Thermaltake TR2 470W
GeForce 7600GT
2GB ram

Thanks for your help

It could be a couple of things...
1. Make sure your cpu fan power cable is plugged in correctly (not into a chasis fan plug-I've done this a few times before ;))
2. Reinstall your cpu, make sure it has thermal compound applied properly and isn't overheating
3. Double check that there isn't a short between the mobo and the stand off screws
4. I've also seen some compatibility issues with Asus mobos and newer chips that require a new BIOS to be installed. That id the trick on my current pc and my dad's who uses the same mobo (both Asus' of course). Give that a shot too just be careful if you've never flashed a BIOS before and do exactly what the instructions say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom