3.5" to 5.25" conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
Check it.

Yeah, I have three hard-drives in my computer, and only four 3.5" bays. So, they were all right next to each other and making a lot of heat, so I relocated my 200GB SATA drive to a 5.25" bay.

I got my dad to bring me home about two feet of 1/4" plastic rod. I cut four pieces off that were roughly 3/4" long. Then I drilled the centers out so my screws would go through the center. The plastic pieces are for spacers, so it doesn't put stress on my 5.25" bays when I tighten the screws, it's all solid.

Some pics:

HPIM0605.jpg

HPIM0608.jpg

HPIM0609.jpg

It dropped the temp on the SATA drive about 2*C or so. Now I need one of those covers with the 40mm fans on them (or, make one :) ).

If anyone ever gets this ambitious, the screws were 6mm.

Wow nice way of making your own, instead of buying those conversion s from 3.5 to 5.25. I might do that too.

Yeah, I couldn't see buying a conversion kit when I could so easily make one.

I might re-do it some time, and use a proper drill bit. I didn't have the right size so I had to use an awl lol. The screw doesn't quite fit through it the whole way, so I have to screw the screw into the plastic piece...which is quite difficult while trying to hold a hard drive.

So, I need to get a new set of drill bits. :/

i did that once but i just screwed the hdd to the side of the 5.25 in bay. instead of the drive in the middle it was stuck to the side.

j369852147412 said:
i did that once but i just screwed the hdd to the side of the 5.25 in bay. instead of the drive in the middle it was stuck to the side.

I was going to do that, but I have a pretty low-quality case and figured something might happen. And since this is where I plan on sticking my Raptor (if I get it for Christmas :)) then I want it to be as sturdy as possible.

j369852147412 said:

heh I did the same thing...but I plan on doing something like what crazeD did. Hey CrazeD, is it alright just to use long screws? lol im too lazy to be getting those plastic things and drilling holes in them.

The problem with only using long screws, is it won't be perfectly centered. See I can completely tighten all my screws to keep the hard drive in there tight...if you only use screws, every time you tighten one it's going to move in that direction.

Sure, you could use only screws...but using the spacers are better. :)

You might be able to do something with motherboard stand-offs, they screw right into the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom