help! router and ip problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohand

In Runtime
I have purchased the smc barricade plus smc 7004 fw, and now it seem to be a problem that I can't connect to the router. I was currently using two computer the problem is the one that using win2k(but the problem has occured to winxp too). after I tried to add a protocol in this land which is "NWlink IPX/SPXNETBIOS COMPATIBLE TRANSPORT PROTOCOL" a question mark appear in the LAND icon saying problem with the connection, and i realized that the ip in the status becomes 0.0.0.0 , i use the repair function, it becomes 169.254.xx.xx instead of originally 192.168.2.101, I used the setup of the original cd but it saying time out and tell me to reset the router, I did it hundred times but don't seem to have any progress. I ran the installation on another computer(this computer) it works. but that one still don't, even i ran it again in there. this problem had happened before, I formated it, than it work normally again is there any way I can do instead of format? I had tried anything i can, but was useless, and it seem to me a big problem(that i can't online),can anyone please provide me any help? thanks very much in advence.

P.S: please note that i have posted
this letter in other forums in order to
get more help, I'll post back on every
post if i've got help.

I use a barricade too. I've got the 7008ABR. First thing i suggest before doing anything else, is upgrading the firmware for the router. I dont know if youve done this already, but the software that ships with the smc routers is outdated now, so you need to upgrade.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the NWlink IPX thing. Maybe someone who knows about the protocol can help you out. My router was easy to set up and worked right out of the box. I didn't install any kinda fancy protocols though lol.

Good luck.

i'll try to update it, but can u tell me how in another computer, cause that one can't online yet, and, i don't think the problem is with the protocol because one of my friend had the simular router had happened one time too in the same situation, and he told me he done nothing once his pc restarted the ip becomes 16X.XX... he ask me if i know i tried, of course i can't do any better so he formated it, well, thanks very much for your helping.:eek:

I bought an SMC before, I absolutely hated it, as soon as it died I bought a linksys and lived happily ever after.

Ares said:
I have no idea what you're talking about with the NWlink IPX thing. Maybe someone who knows about the protocol can help you out. My router was easy to set up and worked right out of the box. I didn't install any kinda fancy protocols though lol.

Good luck.

NW Stands for NetWare. IPX/SPX is a protocol used with a Novell backbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom