Blue screen of Death...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Righteo so here's the problem...

I've got this other computer (not my one in my sig), but I just booted it up then and it goes through all the memory checks fine and then detects all the ide drives, then goes to the Windows XP splash screen... However then of instead of loading windows it flicks to the blue screen of death with all this white writing on it, but only for a matter of seconds, so it's not really enough time to read what is on the screen. Then reboots the computer and repeats the process over again.

What do i do?

I would format the hard drive and re-install Windows.Have you tried starting Windows in Safe mode?

Na safe mode doesnt work, it just resets the computer, i wanted to get stuff off the HDD before i format it

Boot from the windows xp cd that you installed the operating system with. At the first screen you're gonna hit R to take you to the recovery console. When you get to a black "dos-like" screen, choose the primary drive that you're using. At the c:/ prompt type chkdsk /r.

This is gonna do a checkdisk and repair on your hard drive. Sometimes your disk becomes "dirty" and gets bad sectors, causing windows not to be able to load. If this works, i would download a hard drive tester from the manufacturer of your hard disk to make sure the disk is still okay. If it's not, get all the data off as soon as possible and replace the disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom