PCI into PCI-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amidamaru

In Runtime
Hi,

I would like to buy a TV Tuner for my PC - any suggestions appreciated from any UK online store such as scan.co.uk, ebuyer.com or overclockers.co.uk.

But I would like to just make sure if i can use PCI cards in PCI-E slots. Since I have no PCI slots free or I will have to use USB

But what would you recommend though - PCI card TV Tuners seem to be more readily available with bigger names and better specs?

I am thinking about 50£

I can't say from experience, but Hauppage seems to have a high quality TV tuner, that does hardware MPEG recording (meaning its less strain on the CPU)....

What do you have in your PC that you have no free PCI slots? lol, SFF PC?

ditto on the hauppauge... but only PCI. i've got one in my rig. i think USB would put too much stress on ur cpu and cause a little lag.

fastrandstrongr said:
ditto on the hauppauge... but only PCI. i've got one in my rig. i think USB would put too much stress on ur cpu and cause a little lag.

hmmm
i would go for the PCI.
however, since the processing is still done (largely) externally of the CPU then the "strain" on it would be pretty much the same. unfortunately that seems to be out of the question since there are no more available PCI slots
i have seen some cards that are available for PCIE though e.g. http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=510713
thats a little out of you budget, but it is just an example of what there is

Well this is what my DFI lanparty SLI-DR has available :

* 2 PCI Express x16 slots (taken by gfx)
* 1 PCI Express x1 slot
* 1 PCI Express x4 slot
* 2 PCI slots (taken by sound card / wireless adapter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom