Memory questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan III

Baseband Member
I have two more questions about memory.

1. Say I have two identical memory sticks of the same brand in two slots running dual channel as well as 2 more identical sticks of the same speed and type but a DIFFERENT brand then the first two, in the other two slots. Will they run dual channel with the 2 different brands(each brand in 1 set of dual channel slots) or do all 4 need to be the same brand?

2. If I have two 512mb sticks both in one same color slots for dual channel, but a third chip in one of the remaining two slots will that stop the first 2 sticks from running dual channel?

I hope those questions made sense :eek:

1.no (i think) and 2. i dont think so.

So get a few more opinions. cause i really dont know. im just saying something so u wont feel completely ignored lol.

suicide007 said:
1.no (i think) and 2. i dont think so.

So get a few more opinions. cause i really dont know. im just saying something so u wont feel completely ignored lol.
Lol ok, I i didn't understand your answers anyway. were you saying "I don't think they will work(for question 2)" or "I don't think that a 3rd chip will stop them"?

You asked: Will they run dual channel
He answered: No

You asked: Will a 3rd stop dual channel
He answered: No

Now, for your first question: as far as I know the brand does not matter as long as you have them all at the same speed and timings. But don't quote me on this (now you still don't know it 100% certain lol)

As for your second question: no.

1.) They need to be the same brand to run in Dual channel.

2.) Yes, a third stick will prevent the first two from running in Dual Channel.

TriEclipse said:
1.) They need to be the same brand to run in Dual channel.

2.) Yes, a third stick will prevent the first two from running in Dual Channel.
Not sure if I made my question clear enough, sorry if I did and you already answered.

heres an example

Like in the 2 blue slots I have corsair pc3200 512mb sticks, and in the 2 black slots I have kingston pc3200 512mb sticks. will each set run in dual channel or do they all have to be the same brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom