my 7900GS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepsiboy700 said:
Nitestick I am going up against you now. Concidering I just got my x2 3800 now which is at 3ghz. My ram is slower though. DDR 400 with 2.5-3-3-6. I could overclock the ram though and let timings flail around. My 7900 gs is volt modded and oc'ed to 700/1650. I have to run 3dmark soon!

how did you get your 3800 up to 3GHz !?!?!?:amazed:

Edit: woops, didnt realize it was a 4000

no the x2 3800 is at 3ghz. It was a very early one I had bought off of a co-founder of xtremesystems.org and it does it fine. I could push the memory way higher with some mods but I can wait till weekend. I will also be getting new ram so this will be a heated battle.

i think u should post a atitool artifact scanner pic w/ 300+ minutes of error free scanning... for authenticity

i didn't say it was rock stable. i haven't tested that long. it seems stable for at least half an hour which is frankly as long as i could bear testing (combination of gaming, 3dmark and artifact scanning). personally i don't care if it's not rock stable. unlike my cpu the gpu is not going to have long stressfull periods. i highly doubt i would ever game for 2-3 hours straight let alone 5.

So, what is the core threshold temp, or how can i find out?

Also, im getting different readings from atitool and 3dmark. For instance, when im at 600 in atitool 3dmark shows 621. So which one is right?

And whats a good stress test i can run on my card?

Sorry for all the nub questions. Thanks.

3dmark is a relatively good stress test however it leaves you to determine instability yourself. the atitool artifact scanner is pretty "nub" firendly. ok so perhaps i got a bit excited about the memory clock before. 880 doesn't seem quite stable, though i put it to 850 for testing purposes at the moment (can't be bothered determining a new max) and i've been artifact scanning for 15 minutes at 600/850 without a hiccup.

edit: sorry i didn't answer all of your questions. trust what you set the clock speed to be in atitool as being accurate. 3dmark is frequently inaccurate, my friend's brother's 7900gt is apparently 0MHz/0MHz according to 3dmark. the threshold temp should be something like 130 degrees.

I dont think i can get near you guys on your memory rate, however i was able to run 3dmark 03 and run my system at 635 core clock for about half an hour an hour before it crapped out on me. I didnt really get to play with it much, but i was running it for a few hours on 600/800 without any problems. I actually didnt start seeing artifacts till about 640. I gotta double check the memory frequency and see how high i can take it before it dies.

Edit: Yeah, i'd figured it was a problem with 3dmark. I was benching at 635 and it told me i was running at 651, so i was kinda wondering. So far the hottest its gone up to is about 65 from what i've seen. I'll have to see about getting some ramsinks, tried tigerdirect last night but the people looked at me like i was an alien when i asked them.

i'm disadvantaged though, living in australia being that it's also summer here. it would probably help if we had air conditioning here, not to mention insulation in the right places :amazed:. i bet i could get a fair bit higher by removing my side panel and having my lounge room pedestal fan blow on the card. i've knocked 10 degrees off just by removing the front door (TT Soprano) and blowing the fan at the front. so far this is going strong at 34 minutes artifact free. i would try some more clock speed but i don't want to have to start the scan again if i overdo it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom