Installing aftermarket cooling fan: newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakekr

Beta member
I need to swap out my cooling fan since my computer is hitting 60+C degrees regularly and shutting down. I ordered this model, which is supposed to work for Pentium 4s:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134

But it doesn't seem compatible with my computer ... on my computer the heat sink just snaps in and out. This one has the four twisty screw things which don't seem like they're going to fit no matter what.

Photos attached of the new heat sink (LEFT), the old heat sink (RIGHT), the innards (PHOTO 2) ... is this incompatible or is there a way to make it work?

If it's incompatible what should I be looking for since this fan did say pentium 4s?

Appreciate your help!

UPDATE: CPU-Z reports that I *do* have the LGA775 socket, which this fan says it calls for ...

Attachments

• heat-sinks.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 55
hmm, i think the black bracket surround the cpu slot needs to be removed, im not sure if dell designed it to be removed though,,

peterhuang913 has a good point. i don't think that dells are at all upgradeable, their boards are different compared to the normal ones. you should change the thermal compound first, if it doesn't lower the temperature, try calling technical support about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom