Using video RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathFest

Solid State Member
Im new to the forums, this is my first post...

I just bought a new alienware Laptop (christmas gift for meself) and i have a question about the RAM. I know theres a difference between video ram and system ram. The game i was really looking forward to play was RAINBOW 6 vegas, which has a minimum requirement of 1gig of RAM. I have 1 gig of system RAM, but i also have two GeForce 7900 256mb sli. Does the video RAM (256mb + 256mg) add into the RAM specified for game requirements?? I guess the main question is, will i just meet the minimum RAM requirement to play R6 vegas?

thanks,

PS: i dont have the laptop yet. if i did , i wouldnt ask this.

you will be able to run that game fine. your video RAM is used by the gpu (graphics processing unit) to make the pretty pictures on your screen. Your system RAM is used by the CPU (central processing unit) to load stuff and other things (I don't know the specifics, I'm no expert or anything). They do not add up with each other. Anyways, it would always help to get another gig of ram in dual channel but I don't know if you can do that with laptops (I don't use them). You should be playing that game with ease though. What cpu do you have?

CPU:
AMD Turion 2.0 or 2.2 Ghz. i cant remember what i bought a couple hours ago lol. woah wait, thers a geforce 8800? dammit.
its on the alienware website, click on laptops and its like the first one on the left... Aurora 9600

oh man, i hope alienware didnt cheatme out or anything. i thoughti was getting the best lap top, iguess i should have looked somewhere else.

I dunno dude maybe you should have gotten a Core 2 Duo laptop instead. You can still cancel orders I would think. And as for the 8800, thats a new card that's only out for desktops right now. Yes, they will blow away all other cards, but they are also huge, high profile cards. You can't fit those into laptops. It may be awhile before you see an 8800 in a laptop.

currently, i'm searching for another laptop while i can. lol, my mastercard somehow didnt have enough money on it and they made me cancel the order after a few phone calls lol.. i guess its sort of a good thing , allowing me to search for a better buy.

im looking at intel duo cores but i cant seem to find a laptop making that sort of processor along with the 7900 in SLI.
btw i read over some reviews of the Aurora 9700 and everyhing pretty much says its bad, not to mention the amount of heat is massive and almost deadly.

ive been to many sites including, west falcon, voodoo, alienware, cyberpowerpc, asus, abs. forums told me i'd be able to play r6 vegas but it wouldnt be smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom