About to build, what do you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan III

Baseband Member
I was here a while ago asking about power supplys and now I am wondering what you guys think of my final build for a gaming system.

Also is Hewlett Packard(HP) memory bad? I am planning on using it because its cheap, but if its ganna give me a performance hit I don't want to use it.

I am building a system:

Athlon 64 4000+ 2.40GHz 1MB Cache 1000MHz FSB SanDiego Core(939)
MSI K8N NEO4-F Motherboard (socket 939)
Hewlett Packard 2x512mb PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory Kit
Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
eVGA GeForce 7600 GT Video Card
Cooler Master 430-Watt ATX 80mm Fan (this is the power supply I finally picked, any comments?)

So what do ya think?

[Edit] Had another question i posted below:
Oh I had another question as well. I heard that their can be problems with the memory controller when using dual channel feature if you use all 4 slots on your motherboard.

For example if I stuck 4 sticks of the same 512mb pc3200 ddr ram into all 4 slots on my board, shouldn't it be running dual channel for both sets?

Also would having 2 sticks of 1gb pc3200 running in dual channel be better than having 4 sticks of 512mb pc3200 in dual channel?

I can stand by the Corsair Valueselect. I am using it in my computer (1.5gb), and it runs great.

I know what brands are well known and reliable, and thats not my question. My question on memory is whether HP's memory is unreliable or lower performance.

Oh I had another question as well. I heard that their can be problems with the memory controller when using dual channel feature if you use all 4 slots on your motherboard.

For example if I stuck 4 sticks of the same 512mb pc3200 ddr ram into all 4 slots on my board, shouldn't it be running dual channel for both sets?

Also would having 2 sticks of 1gb pc3200 running in dual channel be better than having 4 sticks of 512mb pc3200 in dual channel?

I didn't even know HP made RAM. Is it rebranded? I can't find it at any online stores. Oh, there's some HP DDR2 at TigerDirect but it doesn't look cheap and I don't see any DDR from HP or reviews for the DDR2.

2x1gb is more practical if only for upgrades.

I'm taking it that the RAM is a pull from an HP system? The RAM ought to be fine. It's 3200, and probably a know manufacturer, just not top end.

Dual channel will work with all four slots, but using just two slots is faster.

Shannon said:
I didn't even know HP made RAM. Is it rebranded? I can't find it at any online stores. Oh, there's some HP DDR2 at TigerDirect but it doesn't look cheap and I don't see any DDR from HP or reviews for the DDR2.

2x1gb is more practical if only for upgrades.
I was looking at this 2x 512mb pc3200 DDR DIMM Hewlett Packard
Thanks for your help Shannon, and I really like your sig: "Joy to the world, the Lord has come" Merry Christmas :)

Trotter said:
I'm taking it that the RAM is a pull from an HP system? The RAM ought to be fine. It's 3200, and probably a know manufacturer, just not top end.

Dual channel will work with all four slots, but using just two slots is faster.
Nah, I didn't pull it from a system, I am buying it off the net from one of the links I posted above.
Thanks for your help man!

More questions

Yeah I have another question about memory as well as a question about the mobo I have listed.

First the mobo: I was looking at it and the integrated ports on the back(usb, keyboard, mouse, ect) are kinda organized weird and I am not sure it will work in my case, but the board still has 13 great reviews from customers, none stating they had a problem with the boards port configuration. I have never built a computer before so maybe this is nothing, but it looks weird. Heres the link to the motherboard and theres a picture on this page you can enlarge showing the mobo's ports linkage
and there is a picture of the back of the case I am planning on using at this link linkage

My other questions are about memory.

1. Say I have two identical memory sticks of the same brand in two slots running dual channel as well as 2 more identical sticks of the same speed and type but a DIFFERENT brand then the first two, in the other two slots. Will they run dual channel with the 2 different brands(each brand in 1 set of dual channel slots) or do all 4 need to be the same brand?

2. If I have two 512mb sticks both in one same color slots for dual channel, but a third chip in one of the remaining two slots will that stop the first 2 sticks from running dual channel?

I hope those last 2 questions made sense ;)

Oops

Yeah umm, so I just read cyrax's computer building guide and saw the part about how you remove the stock i/o shield and put in the one for your motherboard(I assume this comes with your motherboard?).

Please still answer my questions on memory though and thanks cyrax!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom