no room for new heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodyfly

Solid State Member
Right now im using stock heatsink for my amd 3000+ @ 2.1gh and my temps are pretty ridiculous. Im gonna buy a volcano 12 but my heatsink and the powersupply are very close i dont think it will fit. Im not gonna buy a new case ... what could i do? Could i unscrew the power supply and put it somewhere else? (if the cables allow?)

computeror4.gif

woodyfly said:
Im not gonna buy a new case ... what could i do? Could i unscrew the power supply and put it somewhere else? (if the cables allow?)

Yes, of course you can. Changing the case (and power supply) of a computer is easy and harmless.

Be sure to read on the web about the heatsink before you buy it and check the exact dimensions and clearing distances (usually on the manufacturer's website). Then check the case dimensions. Make sure it all fits in.

Try using some ArticSilver5 first. You'll need it if you do swap coolers, but it may make a huge difference in your present cooling situation.

Just make sure to completely remove the current paste or pad first.

ive already applied articsilver 5 maybe 3 weeks ago.... the stock heatsink isnt just doing it. my idle temps are at 50's and goes up to 75+c playing cs... owch

are you overclocking? and are you sure that you put the heatsink on correctly and applied the right ammount of articsilver on?

no im not overclocking and i think i put the right amount.. The heatsink is on correctly i dont see how any other way to put it on. my comps always been like this, maybe a little bit cooler. Stock heatsink + amd athlon = high temp

i have 3 amd's with stock heatsink and i overclocked 2 of them and the temp is still about the same as it was before i overclocked. I never had a problem with amd but don't get me started on Intel cause i had very bad experiences and the heat problem was alot worse.

Hmm nvm u were right. Something with the heatsink wasnt right. One of the clips was not tight plus i applied some more artic silver 5 now its a lil better. 35-45 IDLE and can goes up to 70 max. It was going up to 80's before .. a lil scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom