Computer wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat2k5

Baseband Member
i have a computer that wont turn on, it just flashes its front lights and then turns off. i have tested the ram, graphics card, power supply and all drives in another computer which all worked fine.

which leads me to the conclusion that it must be the CPU or motherboard, is this a fair assumption ? i cannot test these as my other computer is a different socket than the one that is broken.

any help is appreciated. thanks

Does it make any "beep" sounds when you try to turn it on?It could be a motherboard or cpu problem.

well, if the front lights are flashing, that would seem to indicate that the mobo is working because it is routing power correctly and giving commands to turn the lights on and off. I would guess that the problem is with the CPU.

i have now tried it with a cpu of the same socket but with 533 FSB instead of the 800 of the old one. it should still work with a different fsb right ? anyway it didn't work, it's really frustrating me and i think i'm just gonna go buy a new mobo and cpu

well, I dont know if the fsb matters, but put the questionable CPU into the mobo that you got the other cpu out of and see if it boots up before you go buying a new one

hey this actually happened to me about 3 days ago. i unplugged the power supply, removed it from the case and plugged everything back in carefully and everything works ok now. i know its not logical, but give it a shot!

Edit: I did this after taking out my video card and one stick of ram, and running only the hard drive with no opticals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom