Dual booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
ok so im new to dual booting so i have a few Q's before i go ahead and do it.

firstly id liek to say abit abotu my setup i have

1 - 30GB HDD which is my master drive and is home of my OS (winXPpro)

1 - 238GB HDD which is my slave drive being used for backup and storage only.
this drive has 3 partitions like so:

1x 99.9GB - used for media back up
1x 93.8GB - used for apps and games backup
1x 39.0GB - which i want to use for DUAL BOOTING (to test out some custom slipstreams of mine)

my 1st question is:

1.even though my new OS location will be the 39GB partition once the OS is installed will i still be able to use the other partitions as normal as they are on the same drive?

2. are there any chanegd i nede to make in the BIOS or to my jumpers as i want it to boot with a list of my OS's and i select whcih OS to boot then it boots?

3. do i NEED any 3rd party software to dual boot? if so any recomendations?

many thanks

well the way i do it is to use two seperate hard drives like you do and i just change the boot order in bios to the drive i want to boot to......i know there is programs to make it an option in bios but it modifies your master boot record and then if u decide to take a certain installation off your boot up is still modified.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i think

I use a dual boot of Windows xp pro and fedora linux worked fine on two partitions could acess the data aslong as it was in a readable format for both Os's and linux was installed on 5gb partition of 35gb hdd there are plenty of third-party bootloaders which are easy to use and when you remove the extra Os some have options to reset to original boot-up record or you can use a windows recovery cd and just reinstall the boot system.

Matt

get partition magic. it wil hide one xp while you install another.

this will keep both drive as c drive. you use the pq boot to pick which one you want to boot to. pm has a install another os wizard

EricB said:
get partition magic. it wil hide one xp while you install another.

this will keep both drive as c drive. you use the pq boot to pick which one you want to boot to. pm has a install another os wizard

thanks, i use partiotion magic already didnt know it had those features

delete the 2nd os partition 1st. Pm will reformat it later in the dual boot setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom