Error connecting to domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulinnorway

Baseband Member
Hi,

When I try to log onto my domain I get the following error message:

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance.

The server is Windows 2003 Server, and I have 16 PCs wirelessly connected to it (all using Windows XP Pro). All of the PCs are fully up-to-date with the latest Windows Update downloads.

This error occured just after I completed restoring the PC using an image I created a few weeks ago with DriveImageXML. Obviously the program caused the error, but I was wondering if there was a way to correct the error, or will I just have to do a clean install of everything?

If anyone can suggest a solution to my problem it would be great.

Log in with the local admin account, dis-join it from the domain, join to a workgroup, reboot, rename computer, then join back to the domain, add the admin accounts, etc under manage, reboot, then you should be good to go

In windows domains, you can't use images to restor the machine to a previous state that is older than I think 7 days. The domain and machine have a relationship that uses a password to keep them together. when the domain cycles the password, and the machine doesn't update, the machine will not beable to get back on the domain until they are synced. Basically, do what Warez said to get it back online. Also, don't let your backups fall that far behind, or extend the machine password cycle to a longer period.

Lets clear this up. You said you "restored the pc using an image"
Now what does this image consist of? Has it been syspreped to automaticaly generate a generic name? or has it not be syspreped and you are using the same name for all your images? If it has been syspreped there shoudnt be an issue but if you did it the other way around you will have an issue because you will havw duplicate names on the same network.

Inaris where did you get that from? you can't use images to restore the machine to a previous state that is older than I think 7 days..just curious, maybe I didnt understand that completely

Thanks for the replies.

Warez Monster, I'll try your suggestion as soon as I can, but I might not be able to post the results until tomorrow.
The image I originally created consists of the following files:
Drive_C.xml
Drive_C.dat
Drive_C.001
Drive_C.002
Drive_C.003
Drive_C.004
Drive_C.005
Drive_C.006

I'm going to re-read your post to try to understand it fully.....I'm only a novice techie;) but at first glance I think I can follow the steps you gave me.

Warez Monster said:
Have you tried acronis yet?
I wanted to try the free program first;), but I am aware of Acronis....seems to be the best out there.

However, I'll be upgrading to Windows Vista when it comes out, and that has an imaging program built into it. So, if I can use the free one for now, then I can see how I get on with the Windows Vista one.

Reguarding your earlier steps, how exactly do you dis-join the computer from the domain?

A guy set up our network 3 years ago, so the only knowledge I have is stuff I've picked up along the way.
Hopefully none of the steps require me to do something with the server because I have no idea about that. In fact, there was no point in me getting it, I should have just created a workgroup instead.
Next time......;)

It requires nothing to do on the server. just go to the control panel, system, computer name tab, change, select workgroup, just type in anything and then a username and password prompt will/should appear, then after it joins, reboot. Then do the same to join back to the domain

Warez Monster said:
It requires nothing to do on the server. just go to the control panel, system, computer name tab, change, select workgroup, just type in anything and then a username and password prompt will/should appear, then after it joins, reboot. Then do the same to join back to the domain
Everything is working properly again:D
Thanks a million for the help......much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom