My *noobism* is killing me, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuleMarine

Beta member
Hey all, I'm upgrading my HP computer. I bought the thing retail in 2000 and I'm putting a new board in it. I bought the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe and so far it looks pretty cool (sitting in the box). I'm guessing I will need to upgrade almost everything (vid card, power supply, proly will find more) simply because the connectors are different now. The problem I'm running into right now seems really stupid to me, but anyway....I'm retaining my old case for now and the power on/off connection is way different than the new connector on the board. Is there a solution and what is it? I'm not surprised if you're all not in shock at this time by my annoying words of NOOBISM!. Thanks in advance.

Odds are you'll have to ditch the case. Most HP's use the microATX form factor, and that motherboard is an ATX. you may want to measure it against your old one and see.

The power switch connector is most likely proprietary... the power connectors may be as well.

If you're going with the AM2, be sure that the RAM you use is DDR2.

Agreed... you'll have to ditch that case... you can pick up a Cooler Master on Newegg for 50-60 with shipping... it will work for your needs and will save you the hassle of trying to modify the wiring to suit your needs.

Might I suggest a whole new build and keep the HP for an email/surf machine... (or Folding @ home for the TF team :D )

Yup, going to go with the new case. Looks like it's simply going to be a whole new build, since I pretty much have everything new, except for the case and power supply, anyway. Thanks for all the help.

ditch the case dude and get a new one. Nobody uses pre built computer cases when doing a major upgrade.

Nukem said:
Might I suggest a whole new build and keep the HP for an email/surf machine... (or Folding @ home for the TF team :D )

+1 for the folding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom