AMD vs INTEL Dual Cores...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzalover555

Solid State Member
Hi guys, I'm looking to set up a new rig and I was wondering which you would suggest I buy (they are both relatively the same price):

1) CORE 2 DUO E6400 2.13GHz 2MB 1066MHz LGA775 #1473
OR
2) Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Socket AM2 Dual Core 2.4Ghz 2000FSB 512Kx2 Box

Thanks for any input you have... and I wouldn't like to OC or do anything that voids warrenty too soon...

The E6400 is the faster processor than the A64 X2 4600+ at stock speeds.

For the record, overclocking is safer than ever before. The chances of you frying a component in your system are minuscule if you do it right (and doing it right isn't that hard). Chances are that even on a heavily-overclocked CPU, you will never (ever) need the warranty. The PC will be sitting in a garage a decade from now before an overclocked CPU runs out of it's lifespan.

I relate to something like buying a processor that runs at 3.2Ghz and choosing to run it at 2,13Ghz. =/ A major waste of money, in my opinion. The E6400 would easily overclock to over 3Ghz and leave any other processor out there in the dust. No Athlon 64 processor would even come close to touching it.

Check out these benchmarks. And those are processors overclocked to a pathetic 2.60 and 2.88Ghz. They're capable of much more.

Thanks alot... and looking at the benchmarks I see what you mean... with AMDs best chip in 6th place after 5 intel dual cores. I guess I'll have to go with that, becuase no matter where I go the opinions are unanomous with the exception of a few AMD junkies.

Just note that two of those top 5 Intel procs are overclocked versions, so its not really fair to AMD to say that there are 5 faster processors. There are only three stock C2D processors that are faster than the FX-62. But even the E6300 can overclock to over 3Ghz, and would leave even Intel's X6800 behind. =/

Oh OK... so stock the Intel E6400 is better than the AMD 4600, and when overclocked it is even more better. So whether I overclock or not I should go with the Intel setup?

Pretty much. They both use DDR2 memory, and the motherboard prices are decent enough anyway.

Though overclocking is strongly encouraged. Like I said, its like buying a processor that runs at 3.2Ghz and choosing to run it at 2.13Ghz. And the risk is negligible enough that most people don't even consider the warranty.

Hmmm, that sounds sick... and would that work nicely on a mid ranged board (maybe the Intel DP965LTCK S775 i965 Chipset 1066MHz) with 2 gigs of the OCZ Gold XTC OCZ2G8002GK DDR2 800MHz and either the eVGA E-GEFORCE 7900GS 256MB or ATI Rad. X1900GT 256MB (which would you suggest).

What do you see as the bottle neck of those 4 pieces of hardware... and would you suggest any changes that wouldn't up the price too much?

Well your video card would be the weakest link. That Intel processor can manhandle any game you throw at it.

Alright, well I'm not looking to spend much more than that on my graphics card... so here is what the system looks like so far:

CPU - CORE 2 DUO E6400 2.13GHz 2MB 1066MHz LGA775 #1473
Mobo - Intel DP965LTCK S775 i965 Chipset 1066MHz
RAM - 2 gigs of the OCZ Gold XTC OCZ2G8002GK DDR2 800MHz
Vid Card - ATI Rad. X1900GT 256MB
HD - Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB 16MB SATA II
All thrown in a generic ol' case with 450W or 500W PSU

I think that looks pretty good... let me know if any of you have any final suggestions before I go and get that system in a couple of days...

Thanks...

Yea thats great if you wanna fry your whole system. Never use a power supply that comes with a case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom