Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hey all, I'm soon going to be coming into a wee bit of money with it being Christmas and all (and well, because its pay day tommorow, which strangely enough always seems to provide...).

With this money I want to buy a new monitor, as my current one is a bit small to look at from a distance, which makes watching films whilst lounging on my bed a little difficult. The current monitor I have is 17", and I want to buy a 19" (which although is a small step up, is a step up none-the-less). The problem is that I'm torn between standard resolution or widescreen. So, if you could answer the small number of questions I have it would be grand! So, on with the questions ^^

(1) If I buy a 19" widescreen LCD would I be able to use standard 1280 x 1024 resolutions in games and it still look good (many games do not support wide screen resolutions)?

(2) If I buy a 19" widescreen will I be able to keep my 17" standard LCD hooked up and use them both in a dual monitor config? (I have a 7900 GT that I think supports dual monitors)

(3) If a 19" and a 17" DONT dual monitor together would it be worth simply getting a second 17"? I do a lot of 3d work where I can imagine having a completely seperate viewport open on different monitors would be a god send.

Thats all I can think of for now. Cheers in advance!

I dunno what your budget is, but if you plan on getting a widescreen, shoot for 19+. Prices have dropped down to reasonable levels (if you look hard enough).

A 20"-22" will be super-sweet for movies. The resolution won't be any better than a 19", but that's the price you pay.

Trotter, your sig is too big - the 2 images come to 131 pixels high. ;) (Excluding the folding.) Talking about sigs, my quote has gone. :(

Most games have mods or guides on how to force it to widescreen if it doesn't support it natively. What I would do if you are on a strict 19" budget is get the best 19" widescreen and keep the 17" anyway. Keep in mind the 17" will be taller so if you are a perfectionist you will not really like them side by side.

You will need to use this for having different resolutions: http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

1. Not too sure...although I know some do indeed support 1280*1024...probably most?
2. Absolutely, dual screen should work great.

This may be just me, but I honestly hate the wide screen... I recently purchased a 20" LCD, and decided to go with dual screens, and figured what the heck, so I got the same 20" model in widescreen - for movies, it's decent...

But for working on, I find it very annoying. In general, the screen is already wide enough, and I find myself wanting the height (browsing websites, text documents/coding, and occasionally it gets annoying for 3DSM (for the same reason)) - so all in all, if this is primarily for movies, great! Otherwise...I'd think twice!

Also, regardless of which type (wide or standard), I would suggest moving up 1", as then you can get the 1600*1200 or 1680*1050 resolutions, which I find quite handy...:)

I think i'm gonna go with the 19" widescreen. I cant really justify spending more than like £250 on a monitor when I have more important things to buy i'm afraid.

As I will be running the two monitors at once if I find the widescreen is not 'working' for certain programs I can just transfer back to my 17" whilst I work with that 'certain program'.

As always , cheers for all your help folks.

Hmm, I just had a thought.

Would running two monitors at the same time result in an increased strain upon the graphics card? For example, if i was playing say Battlefield 2 and the image was displayed on both screens would my graphics card have to work twice as hard?

I don't think BF2 will allow you to do that. I could be wrong, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom