?? compatability w/faster cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
pcu upgrade or not?

I don't know but it sure seems like I have an obscure mobo, the ASUS-Tech P4S-LA, which I got for free from a friend who doesn't have a clue as to where he got it. Its got the socket 478 which originally had a burned out P4 1.5g cpu. I replaced it with a 2.0g Celeron and it has run beautifully but since then I have gotten into a lot of gaming. What I want to know is can that mobo handle a faster cpu using the cpu's full capabilities? I should probably ask too, is would it make much of a difference in the gaming with say a 2.8g?

Now, before I get b****** at for not supposedly doing a google search etc., I HAVE!! That's why I'm saying the P4S-LA is obscure. I know HP had it in their Pavilion etc. but they don't really give much info on the board itself. ASUS also doesn't have any listing on the mobo and it's their manufacture. Someone told me it was comparable to another ASUS board but when I got the manual the pic was way different.

I sent off an email to them and am just waiting back for a reply. thanks for the tech-support link. Much appreciated.

Since that motherboard uses a SiS650 chipset, it's able to support socket 478 processors using a 400MHz FSB. The fastest P4 with a 400MHz FSB is the 2.8GHz, which you can still find for around $100 at NewEgg. I would say the difference between a Celeron 2.0GHz and a P4 2.8GHz when gaming would be large enough to warrant the upgrade, but it really depends how much you're willing to spend for a few extra FPS ;)

paradox: when you say "a few" frames per second, how few? if its even 10-20 it would be worth it.
btw: that is good info you gave me. thank you very much. now I know that I wouldn't be spending my money in vain.

another ??: what would be better (if there's a difference), a p4 2.8 or a Celeron 2.8?

It's pretty tough to estimate exactly how much of an increase you'd see, especially since some games depend more on processor speed than others. With that in mind, I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't see a jump of at least 10-15fps in most games.

As far as Celerons vs. P4s, if you compare them clock-for-clock (ie. 2.8GHz Celeron and 2.8GHz P4) the P4 will perform quite noticably better, especially when gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom