Shannon's Next Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannon said:
C'mon General, you know I'm an AMD girl.

And I'm actually an AMD fanboy now. I'm never going back to Intel, even if the Core 2 Duo is out, I don't care.

Nukem said:
Younger kids = Slave labor... that's why I have a 12 year old! LOL :D

Welcome to my world. I'm a slave to my Dad, same for my 21-year old bro.

Back on topic: Good build, nice components, can't wait to see it built!

I'm convinced that no matter how old I am I'll always be fixing my parents' computers.

Seriously, it's okay to get a 12 year old to do stuff for you. I mean, think of all the years when kids are very young that you have to watch them every second and do everything for them? It's totally fair. Although personally, I'm looking forward to having my own children so I can name them whatever I want and have toys that I have no real excuse to get now.

Nukem said:
Younger kids = Slave labor... LOL :D

hehe, i'm 16 and have not had to deal with that for the last 2 years.... :D .....i got them to quit because i just started ignoring them

Nice build by the way

Shannon said:
C'mon General, you know I'm an AMD girl.
I think K8L will end up better than Conroe. they are likely to have a 4th instruction decoder, four cores on one die, shared L3 cache, and an improved transistor design among other things

talldude123 said:
And I'm actually an AMD fanboy now. I'm never going back to Intel, even if the Core 2 Duo is out, I don't care.
That's what I think aswell. But just wait for K8L...

Shannon said:
I'm convinced that no matter how old I am I'll always be fixing my parents' computers.
I think that'll be true for me as long as I'm still living with my parents (I'm 18)

I'm 23 and I don't live with my parents anymore, but I still seem to end up fixing something at their house about weekly.

Apokalipse, I agree. I'm not going to switch my loyalties over one decent CPU set. I think that AMD is going to be on top in everyone's eyes performance-wise again when we really get into quad-core.

Why even have a loyalty? Neither company is a perfect angel, nor a vicious tyrant. I back whatever gives the best performance at the time, considering the price as well.

But what really gets on my nerves is when people say things that are their "hunch." There are too many well-informed people, and too many people listening to those well-informed people for hunches to be worth much in the tech world. I honestly don't mean to pick on anyone, but can you give me a plausible reason why you think that the Quad-Core is going to put AMD back on the top? Personally, I know why AMD could bridge the performance gap, but I want to hear your reasonings.

Just to toss something out there; AMD's K8L will be coming out a year after the Core 2 Duo, and Intel has hardly been sitting on it's laurels the entire time. One quarter after AMD releases K8L Dual and Quad Core processors, Intel will release their 45nm Penryn-architecture processors. It is pretty undisputed that this 45-nm shrink will leave whatever AMD may have far far behind. There was an entire thread devoted to the subject in the AMD subforum at [H]Forums, and they decided that AMD was pretty much going to be in trouble. K8L's reign, if there is even any, will be quite short-lived.

3.5 -> 4.0Ghz Dual Cores and 3.00 -> 3.73Ghz Quad Cores with Performance per clock improvements, compared to the 2.0 -> 2.9Ghz C2D-competitiors that AMD's K8L will bring? GG AMD.

I am hardly "loyal" to Intel; I just back them because they are in the lead, and I will recommend the best to anyone who asks. AMD was the best around this time last year, and that was all I recommended at the time. But times change, and sleeping giants awaken. ;)

How much longer???!??!?!@

Oh and a question. If you are not using it for gaming why build a more powerfull computer than the one you already have? what will it help with?

Spartan III said:
How much longer???!??!?!@

Oh and a question. If you are not using it for gaming why build a more powerfull computer than the one you already have? what will it help with?
Only thing i can think of is that its more future proof than her old setup, plus "if" she does decide she wants to start gaming then all she needs to do is buy a better GPU ;)

I agree with Tri, I have no loyalty to any company. I just buy what seems to be the best bang of the buck. Yes, there is that concept of "future proofing," but as long as you think you're going to have the money to upgrade the motherboard & CPU, does it really matter what you do now?

Do what you feels right, if you're into loyalty, that's ok, it's not my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom