Critique my upcoming build (need motherboard suggestions as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Wall_117

In Runtime
Will be ordered (all at once) in mid-January, and since it's sorta close, I decided to go to a reliable source to see if this list is really worth the money.

Motherboard: Gigabyte DS3

CPU: E6300 Conroe

Video Card: 8800 GTX

RAM: PNY 2GB (1GB x 2) DDR2 - 667

(copy of Windows XP Home, to tide me over until vista)

Power Supply: Rosewill 550W - SLI Ready

Hard Drive: WD Caviar 160GB SATA-II, 7200 RPM

Optical Drive: (Some Brand) CD-R CD-RW DVD Combo drive

Case: Lian-Li PC-7B Plus II

I need a motherboard suggestion, and it has to be below $120. I know that's a scary price to think of, being so low and all, but I believe that I can find a good motherboard for that price. Heck, all it needs is a full speed x16 slot, Conroe support, and DDR2 667 support. Also, make sure it's SATA ports are SATA-II, and it must be able to fit the 8800 GTX, without the card covering any IDE slots or all of the SATA ports.

Also, will I need to include a FDD to install the SATA Drivers for windows, or will I be able to use an onboard controller? Keep in mind that I am not using RAID.

Ok, I guess that makes sense. I was going to get the E6300 to start with, but I figured that since the E6400 had a higher multiplier, it would overclock higher, and in turn, provide more bang for my buck. Oh well, it's not like I'm going to really need that extra little bit of performance. It also makes sense anyway to spend that extra money saved on a better motherboard.

I know about the PSU being ****, but I couldn't find anything better for the price point. I decided that getting an "SLI Ready" PSU would be beneficial because that would assume that it has two strong +12v rails, and two PCI-e 6 pin power connectors, and the 8800 GTX needs two. Feel completely free to look for a PSU suggestion, and make sure that it has two PCI-e 6 pin connectors, or at least has enough standard molex connectors for me to use in PCI-e adapters (should take 4 total molex connectors, two for each 6 pin). I'm looking as well, but having trouble.

I like that sticky, very informative. I am in the process of looking at the moment, and basically, as long as it's 400W or more and has two strong (at least 18a per rail) +12v rails, It'll do. Of course, it'll have to be a good brand and all that jazz, but you see what I mean. If you want to help me, The price of it, before rebates, should be less than or equal to $80 USD, and a newegg link would be fantastic. I don't trust other sites as well.

darkop16 said:
nice...i would have suggested that one, but it was over the budget you gave.

I know, but I didn't figure in the extra ~$40 I saved switching from E6400 to E6300.

Also, horray, i are teh one hundred and one poasts.

(bad spelling and grammar intentional)

Now, about the question I have about the FDD... I know I have asked it already, but I want to make sure. Does the DS3 have an onboard SATA II controller, or will I need a FDD to install SATA drivers for windows?

Of course the ds3 has onboard SATAII controllers capable of raid 0/1. It states it under the specs at newegg.

Now if you were setting up a raid configuration, you may need a FDD to install raid drivers before installing windows. I hit that snag with my p5b-deluxe and had to "borrow" ( :p ) my family computer's FDD to install the raid drivers. I couldn't figure it out either...asus lets you update the bios using a flash drive but not the raid drivers???....but i got it after some swaping out FDD drives here and there. I guess to be on the safe side, you could order one with the build...their only like $6.

But your only going to use one HDD, so you shouldn't have to worry about installing any drivers before installing windows.

Also i just noticed you getting some ddr2 667 ram....the corsair xms ddr2 800 ram have some good mail in rebates at newegg that brings the price pretty close to the ram you picked out...might want to check it out ;) .

The XMS2 is a bit more expensive than I want it to be, but I might be able to get it. The RAM I'm getting now should do just fine, and it's $100 off because the same company make both it and my graphics card, and they are offering a combo deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom