CPU failure on amd 3400

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanpmeth

Beta member
I was recently using my computer trying to get my dual monitors setup properly in windows, and linux. I was changing the resolution on windows and it did the usual black screen before adjusting, then it never came back. I thought I just set the resolution too high and the monitor just didnt support it but NO. I rebooted and the motherboard gave a verbal error report of "CPU check fail" at least i think thats what the last word said it was a little hard to understand. The screen was black and i dont see anything. Then i though it got too hot, but i have a huge heatsink and 150mm fan. its always run at cool temps. I dont know what was went wrong.
HELP!

List All components. (Specifics on Power supply Needed)
List the cooling setup and heatsink.

Dissconnect all components except CPU, Video card and One Stick of RAM. Clear the CMOS by removing the small coin like battery for Two Minutes. Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a hard non-conductive surface.

Turn it on and if it POSTs, Shut down, put it back in the case, add one component and repeat the process until it no longer boots. The Component that was added last most likely caused the Non-POST and should be RMAed and or Replaced.

Report Back.

If do you all that and it still does not POST then its time to start swaping components with known good ones. So Find a friend with compatible components or goto local comp shop and get some cheapies.

I took off the heatsink do i have to replace the silver paste in between the cpu and heatsink?

My original problem was that my wireless card was knocked loose when changing monitors. after that it worked fine.

-sighs-

A 2 Line reply could not possibly mean you did everything I stated in my first Post.

Reread my ENTIRE first post and, please, play again...

Ok i thought it was fine, but i understand where you are coming from, sorry about that. I dont mean to disrespect this forum.

The first thing i did was disconnected the the external components (keyboard, mouse, etc) then i open the case, removed the coin like battery, while that was out I disconnected the cd-rom and graphics card. Then pulled the huge heat sink that was preventing the ram from being removed. Took one of the ram cards out. Plugged the power and speakers back in, then it did the same thing. I then noticed that I forgot to take out the pci wireless card out, when taking it out I noticed that it wasn't in all the way. Took it out and started up again and didn't report a cpu error message. That tickled me pink. Plugged everything back in and it worked fine. Had to reset all of my bios settings (disabling raid, and sata, and F1 error confirmation) because the coin like battery was taken out. The reason for F1 error confirmation disabling, was because the cpu fan i got is not recognized by the motherboard and throws a CPU FAN ERROR exception every time it starts up. Does anyone know how to fix or disable that because the fan works just fine, it has a manual speed adjustment knob.

So I guess my other two questions are:
How do i disable error reporting on my motherboard or fix the fan?
Do i need to replace the silver paste in between the cpu and heatsink, or is the original paste fine?

Thanks for your time.
Sorry for the previous post.
-evanpmeth

You should be able to go into pc health and disable it. What is your motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom