XP freezing randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo214

Baseband Member
I dont't know what's up, but I do know one thing for sure, it's random and it's not overheating hardware. It can happen at any time, but it never happens when launching a program. It always happens in the middle of something, and it usually always happens when I'm coming back from being away from my computer.

Hardware specs:

4000+
1.5GB pc3200
MSI k8N SLI-F

420 watt raidmax psu (now that I think about it I don't have the 24 pin motherboard connector, just the 20...)

Nvidia 7600GT (it gets the hottest because it's a BFG overclock but I still don't think that's it. It's currently idol running 42c)

250GB maxtor just formatted and reinstalled windows (it was freezing before, but not as often)

and a DVD player and a CD burner and a floppy.

If I forgot anything lemme know, also thanks for any help provided.

Explain the error/problem in as much detail as possible. (Unless already done so)
If it is a windows Blue Screen, write down the error and post in next reply.
When did this error start to occur?
Have you made any software or hardware additions prior to this problem?
What programs does it most often occur in/to?
List all running processes.
What Anti Virus and Anti spyware programs are being used?
Update windows, all drivers and all protection programs.

Download the following Programs.
Speedfan
memtest
HDD Health

For speed fan list the tempartures it gives.
For memtest, Burn to a disk and run for 6 Hours, Write and down and report amount of errors.
Run HDD Health and post a Screen shot of the listing for the Harddrive with the operating system on it.

If they is anything else that you want to add or find unusual about the problem please tell.

Report Back.

Okay it stopped when I turned off dynamic overclocking on my motherbaord, It never freezes now... :) maybe the world isn't ready for overclocking WHILE applilcations are drawing from the CPU (at peak no less)

What happened is the basic "out-of-time" problem.
The broad tried to predict the instructions and adjusted the clockspeed of the proc to fit those instructions, when the program your running takes a "path-not-taken" branch, it locks up because there is no clockspace for the instruction to complete, so basically your stuck with a processor that tries to execute an instruction with no ops and failing each time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom