Transfering files

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang2009

Baseband Member
Hey have a quick question, I'm building a new computer and I need to get some files off the hard drive before I reformat. The old computer died due to the motherboard. Can I use an external housing and just plug the hard drive into my laptop and copy the files that way?

The housing I am think of buying is HD housing
that, can this be done?

if you go to newegg or what ever store you shop at there should be (depending on what connection the harddrive supports) an adaptor for SATA/ATA/PATA to usb. Cheaper than one of those boxes you put the hard drive in.

Is there a way to tell what connections it supports without the box. Also is the way I talked about actually doable. Or is it not that easy?
thanks

depends if its SATA or IDE if its IDE you cant just plug it into your laptop same with SATA unless you have an eSATA connection which most likely it doesn't.

why not just put the hard drive in your new pc build copy them over then take it out?

Thanks for the replies, I didn't know if I could build a new computer with the old stuff still on the hard drive. Wont the old drivers mess it up? All I need to do is grab a few files from the hard drive and then reformat with the new drivers. Is there an easier way to do that?
Thanks first time going through this.

drivers? you dont install drivers for a hard drive. its just plug it in and away you go. So your getting a new one correct? put that in your pc and set it in the BIOS as the first boot device.

Then if you do what nukem linked to then when you boot into windows you should see your old hard drive as d: or something you can then access it and drag all the files to c:

Sorry I must not be describing my problem correctly. I am putting in a new motherboard and processor but I am keeping the old hard drive. Am I able to just install the new motherboard and boot up or will it not work because I wont have the correct drivers installed for the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom