Need Help Isolating and Fixing Internet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navaros

Baseband Member
I'm using an ADSL connection.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue I started getting serious lag issues in online games that always kill me by making me appear to be stuck in one exact spot. When this happens, it's as if data stops being transferred for 30 - 45 seconds, and then starts again at which point I'm dead.

I've run numerous bandwidth tests and I noticed that my speed vastly fluctuates. Sometimes the results are normal, sometimes they are above normal, sometimes they are unbelievably bad.

I do not ever lose sync according to the lights on my modem, which always remain lit normally even when this lag problem is occurring.

I had the phone company test my phone line and say they noticed big problems while they tested my line and I heard interruptions in the music I heard while I was on hold with him as he tested my line (5 minute test). He told me those interruptions indicate big problems on the line.

I had a technician from the phone company come to my residence and test my phone line and inspect the wires outside. According to him, everything was perfect and there was nothing at all wrong with my phone line.

I have scanned my computer with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition as well as Ad-Aware and Spybot. These scans did not identify any problem with viruses or spyware that might be causing this problem.

So it seems my problem is either:

- Phone line

- Modem

- Virus/spyware that was not detected by the above software.

I don't have another modem on hand to test with but I will have to acquire one if the modem is the problem. I'm hesitant to do that in case there is a way to eliminate the modem as the cause of this problem prior to me expending money to acquire another one.

My questions are:

1. Based on this post, what would you suspect the problem is?

2. Due to this problem occuring somewhat randomly and that my bandwidth tests were running fine at the time the phone technician was at my residence, is it possible that his equipment could have missed the problem, and there is in fact a problem with my phone line?

3. How exactly do I isolate and fix this problem?

I think its the phone line if they test it from their end and they say its not working then Id go with that. Odds are the technician that come to check your end was just an idiot.

just to be sure run warez monsters virus/spyware guide found in my sig below.

Was the modem supplied by your ISP? if so see if they will replace it.

Do you download a lot? some ISP do traffic shaping so could be slowing your connection down.

After all that I would contact your ISP or phone company and really push hard for them to look at the matter.

Thanks for the tips.

I already did have to push them very hard just to get a technician out to my residence the first time. Don't know how I'd be able to keep pushing them hard by saying "Your first technician was an idiot, I the layman demand that you send me another one!" Even if he was indeed an idiot, kind leaves me between a rock and a hard place about how to proceed.

It's not my ISP doing shaping or anything like that. My ISP is really cool but they have to resell the phone company's phone lines so it makes me getting support from the phone company extra difficult.

I'm using my own modem, a Dlink DSL-300G. Been using it for 3 or 4 years with no problems like this. I've had other problems with my phone line at my old house. But that time it was rodents and insects in the wires outside, and I would always lose sync as evidenced by my modem ADSL LINK light going out in that situation, which they don't do this time.

true.. all you can do is make sure its not your PC's fault by running the spyware checks I posted and updating the drivers for your pc and graphics card.

If it still continues then you will just have to keep calling them.

I'll definitely try out those spyware checks.

By the way when I scan with Trend Micro Housecall, my browser always crashes 100% of the time shortly after the scan starts. I have enabled ActiveX and reset Security to "Medium" like their site says to, but it still always crashes my IE. I wouldn't mind scanning with that too, if I can make it work.

4. How do I make TrendMicro Housecall stop crashing my IE web browser?

When I try using the online virus scanners I notice this problem on the Trend Micro site when I try to use Java (but it still crashes my browser anyhow if I scan with Java without selecting the folders to scan, so that doesn't matter too much at the moment) and also when I try the normal scan on Tenebril. I did all the steps in listed in the FAQs to fix this but it still doesn't work.

How do I make this display properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom