The big questions: Mac or PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a mac book , theres no point in upgrading to a mac book pro for the stuff your using it for and you'll save a couple hundred $.

Wow. That was overwhelmingly unanimous. *lol* So Mac seems like the route to go... now I just have to choose from the remaining choices.

Mac Mini
iMac
Macbook
Macbook Pro

:)
Spencer

Unless it has a PPC processor inside, MAC = PC

MAC is an operating system
PC is a type of architecture format

If you want something better than the macbook, as in more solid, more features, same body and size as the macbook and also runs mac, then IBM Z61....

Ibm used to make the laptop frames+hardware for apple, and thats exactly where Z line came from....

talldude123 said:
Use a PC with Linux bobojuice. That doesn't cost money :p

I would use a Mac with Windows Vista if I had the money. I like Microsoft. I use their peripherals and their OS.

Hardware costs money. To say that using a "PC with Linux" doesn't cost money would be a lie.

You would use a Mac with Windows Vista if you had the money - what you really mean is that you are 19 and still live with your parents, don't have a job and spend all day on Tech-Forums.net giving terrible advice such as quoted above. You don't have enough money to buy a fast computer, so you had to settle for a $350 Acer that gets own3d by the $599 Mac Mini, yet you still have pride for your computer, even though it barely deserves the name.

That's what you mean.

You knew that posting "I would use a Mac with Windows Vista if I had the money. I like Microsoft." was flame bait, so I gave you what you wanted.

shdwsclan said:
Unless it has a PPC processor inside, MAC = PC

MAC is an operating system
PC is a type of architecture format

If you want something better than the macbook, as in more solid, more features, same body and size as the macbook and also runs mac, then IBM Z61....

Ibm used to make the laptop frames+hardware for apple, and thats exactly where Z line came from....

Care to explain how an IBM Z61 will run Mac OS X?

People buy Macintosh Computers for 3 reasons:

1. The hardware Apple chooses is always fast, they don't produce slow, low end computers like Dell's $250 PC. So they know they will be getting a fast computer.

2. The Operating System. Mac OS X can only operate on a Macintosh Computer, legally. There is a hacked up version of Mac OS X floating about the internet, I have tried it, it sucks.

3. Macintosh Computers look nice. They aren't some god-awful beige box in the corner with a big square CRT monitor on some loose nasty computer desk with a sliding keyboard tray. (the desk was just to accentuate how awful it really is)

You are incorrect in saying that Intel Macintosh computers are the same as a "PC" ... "PC" uses a BIOS. Macintosh computers use EFI.

Macintosh computers can run Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, doesn't matter.

A Dell can only run Windows or Linux.

I'm actually on a mac right now. Interestingly enough I'm going the other way- from macbook pro to a windows gaming machine and then also getting a macbook.

I absolutely love OS X, it, in my opinion, looks and functions better than windows. However, that being said, it has serious software compatability issues, mainly for games, as well as for several specialized professional applications.

The real difference between a macbook and a macbook pro is the dedicated graphics. The Macbook pro comes with a x1600 mobile while the Macbook has intel GMA integrated graphics. Also, the Macbook Pro comes with a bigger screen, backlit keyboard, and can have up to 3gb of RAM instead of the Macbook's 2. Other than that, the processors, RAM speeds, and HDD sizes are generally the same.

Thanks for that Waffle... I appreciate the feedback everyone.

Considering that I won't really be gaming, and that I'm don't forsee myself using any specialized professional apps, I think a Mac will be the right fit for me.

And given that I don't (at the moment) plan on doing anything that requires high-end graphics, sounds like the Macbook is sufficient. :)

Cheers!

notoriousWAFFLE said:
However, that being said, it has serious software compatability issues, mainly for games, as well as for several specialized professional applications.

It doesnt have any software compatibility issues. Developers dont write the software for Mac OS X, so it doesnt work in OS X. Its not a problem with OS X, its the a problem with the developers.

LOL

I know someone just like you, General... argues all the time about everything. Honestly, you seem to know a lot (so does my friend, maybe that's why he likes arguing) - maybe share some of that info with me in the form of suggestions? You know, like the question I asked that started this thread? ;) Hehehe...

Thanks,
Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom