Network WIN 98 with WIN XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reemoe

Beta member
Recently bought a new desktop with XP. I'm looking for the easiest and cheapest way to get files from my old desktop running Win98 to the new one.

I've heard software like PC Mover are not the best. What other options do I have?

Thanks!
Ryan

How many files do you have? I think the easiest way to move over the files would be to take the hard drive out of the old computer and plug it into the new one as a slave. Then you can read the drive from your new machine and just move anything you want to save over.

Slave hard drive

Is this something fairly easy to do (for a non-techie guy)? Or is it best left to an expert?

it's very easy to do. but like Shannon said.. how many files do you have? you might even be able to make a CD/DVD or use a USB stick and Xfer the files if you don't feel comfortable taking apart the system.

Do a google search for replacing a hard drive and research. if you can find one with pics, it'll make it even easier. Windows should see your hard drive and install it for you without any problems, then pull from one drive to another.

Not too many

There aren't too many files--I'm sure below average...no pictures and such. Is there a recommended brand of USB stick I should look for?

Thanks again,
Ryan

There's no one special brand for usb drives

USB drives at newegg

but make sure you don't get one that's too small. You'll probably want at least 1 or 2gb, but see if you can look at how much space the files you want to save are taking up.

Taking out the hard drive is pretty easy, just a few screws and the cables.

USB flash drives

It seems, however, that many of these USB flash drives do not support Windows 98 (just Windows 2000 and later).

Can anyone help out and suggest any that would work with Win 98?

Thanks again!

You could just write the files to a CD and then move them to your new computer.You might need some burning software but there are lots of free programs out there.(Google search)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom