I have sound on PC but no way to control it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
Hi guys

Pretty weird stuff here..

I lost my windows event sounds (error, startup, shutdown) .. i thought my driver got corrupted or something.. but after lots of troubleshooting, i found that my audio devices and drivers are ok..

I can listen to winamp, watch tv on my TV card, play videos etc. but i just cant control its volume anymore (software level).. the sound icon is gone, the sound properties in the control panel is greyed out, the volume controls on winamp, and other software dont seem to have an effect on the actual sound coming out

would like to know

1) What could have caused this
2) How to fix this

any help would be greatly appreciated

When you go to the device manager under systems...does it show that the sound drivers are completely fine?

When you go to the device manager under systems...does it show that the sound drivers are completely fine?

yes they're all fine..

I suggest you go to the device manager, uninstall the sound drivers and then install them back
will try that..

in what OS? i know in MY xp, there is a service for this called 'soundman.exe'
you might have a different software package, but whatever it is, there should be a running service for it.
what motherboard (if running onboard) or what audio card?
are your speakers powered externally?
also, running the audio install again from the recovery/install disk may help

hi guys

Tried to reinstall drivers... same problem..decided to have xp check its core files (RUN>sfc) . it seem to have fixed the problem..

@fixalot
i have an XP PRo, with SP2, using MSI Neo2 board, with the AC97 sound ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom