should i get an sli motherboard for my new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanity8me

Solid State Member
i'm in the process of ordering an e6600, xfx 8800 gts, corsair 2gb xms, lite-on 18x dual dvdrw, lite-on 16x dvd and 52x32x52x cdrw combo, and WD (or seagate?) 320gb w/16mb buffer, with an enermax liberty 500w psu and a centurion 5 w/ window case for ~$1330 from zipzoomfly.com

i don't know what mobo to get for this build.. should i get an sli nforce since i'm getting the 8800 gts or should i save money and get something great but not sli compatible since i'm not exactly planning on buying an additional 8800 gts in next 4-5 years? i'm hoping one 8800 gts will be more than suffient for that amount of that time...

something like this:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247111

or:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246707

also, what do you guys think of my build? should i go with seagate or WD, is my psu and case good? this is my first attempt at building a system so any advice would be appreciatted.

4-5 years :eek:

The 8800gts is a beast but in 4-5 years its not even going to be comparble to how a 6200le is now (and im basing that on a linear graph of technology and not exponentially like moore's law states).

Both your links are for the same mobo, but i wouldn't get that chipset for the conroes. The only chipset i trust for the C2D's and sli are the 680i. You can get the evga 680i for $250. If you know you won't sli then a gigabyte ds3 or asus p5b deluxe are great.

edit: WD and seagate both make good hard drives (except for that time when seagate used maxtor parts when they bought them out :p). I use 2 WD 250's and one seagate 400gb.

If you're not looking into SLIing for another 4-5 years, then I suggest you go with the ones darktop16 said. The gigabyte ds3 or asus p5b deluxe. By the end of that 4-5 years there would already be newer and better graphic cards.

darkop16 said:
4-5 years :eek:

The 8800gts is a beast but in 4-5 years its not even going to be comparble to how a 6200le is now (and im basing that on a linear graph of technology and not exponentially like moore's law states).

Both your links are for the same mobo, but i wouldn't get that chipset for the conroes. The only chipset i trust for the C2D's and sli are the 680i. You can get the evga 680i for $250. If you know you won't sli then a gigabyte ds3 or asus p5b deluxe are great.

edit: WD and seagate both make good hard drives (except for that time when seagate used maxtor parts when they bought them out :p). I use 2 WD 250's and one seagate 400gb.

sorry guys i meant to put the evga 680i in my second link (fixed).

so then maybe, for future sake, spending ~$50 more on an evga 680i would be a better chioce than a asus p5b deluxe or gigabyte ds3?

also, what do you guys think of the enermax liberty 500w psu for my build?

b1gapl said:
If you're not looking into SLIing for another 4-5 years, then I suggest you go with the ones darktop16 said. The gigabyte ds3 or asus p5b deluxe. By the end of that 4-5 years there would already be newer and better graphic cards.

hmmm maybe you're right... and i'm not even that much of a hardcore gamer... prob gona use is it mostly for f.e.a.r., dawn of war, and cs: source... just lately thought i'd be ready for the future of dx10 games like crysis which looks r i d i c u l o u s

It may just be me, but it seems regardless of the fact if you want to use SLI or not, the mobos with two PCIE-16X slots are the top performing. I personally would go with a performer cause the ones with only one 16X slot are not as good.

Graham said:
It may just be me, but it seems regardless of the fact if you want to use SLI or not, the mobos with two PCIE-16X slots are the top performing. I personally would go with a performer cause the ones with only one 16X slot are not as good.

how are they better performers?

I think he is just making an observation but the gigabyte ds3 only has one pci-e slot and its a great motherboard. The asus p5b-deluxe only has one pci-e slot that runs at x16 and im sure the majority of ppl will agree its a sweet mobo for overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom