connecting two 5.1 devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrantic

In Runtime
Alright I was wondering the following.

I have a 5.1 headset. I'm also getting 5.1 speakers. What would it take for me to be able to connect both devices at the same time, so without having to unplug everything all the time?

I've read about amplifiers that you can connect to your pc. I suppose these are just like the soundcard interface with the appropriate sockets? Where do I plug in the amplifier, does it go into a USB slot? Or does it go into my soundcard, and if so, can I use a front line-out socket and will that run the device on my onboard or will it run on my soundcard that way?

What is a good ampifier to get, or could/should I do it another way? I remember when I bought my headset that I didn't want the version with an amplifier, although it cost the same, just because I didn't want all the cable mess and extra equipment. But before I start buying like crazy, I want to know how it works and what my setup would look like.

Thanks.

-edit- Would also like to know if there is a device available that will let you plug BOTH devices into it, which you then plug into your pc. Thanks. :)

2x5.1

I don't want to use headphones and speakers at the same time, defeats any purpose :p I just want to be able to plug in both my speakers and my headset, and ideally there would be a switch on the device to switch between devices.

you could just get a couple of these:
belkin-headphone-and-speake.jpg

have them split the signal right out of the card. that way you can have both plugged in at the same time.

@talldude: I don't really think that would work, would it? And even then it would still be a hassle...

@kfc: Yeah I've seen those splitters but I don't want to end up having four of them into the back of the pc... plus, it would ideally have a switch so it wouldn't play both at the same time.

I know it is possible, my headset had an edition that came with this:
sl-8796_amp.jpg

It has two 5.1 connections. I was clever enough to buy the 'ProGamer' edition for the exact same price, I've yet to find out what I gained from that.... :p

Any alternatives other than the splitters? Which is what I'll do if no-one has a better idea. :$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom