building a £1000 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt work like that anyway, just because you have say a 500w psu doesnt mean your pc will use 500W, thats just crazy, a normal home user pc would never need that much power.
Id be surprised if your currant psu wasnt sufficient put it that way.

ps im using a 520w ocz, mainly because of my hungry GPU and fans etc

good point johnny but according to threads on here it's better to get a decent brand Psu which is higher then needed Wattage capacity as It's less likely to fail or be gradually degraded through maximum use so less likely to breeak and cause a power surge which would knock out other parts.

Matt

The 7900gt is good but the mid range dx10 cards are coming out early next year. You should get an evga to hold you over until then so you can trade it in for a dx10 card and then you should be set to play future games that will require dx10 (i imagine there will still be dx9 versions of the games, but playing them on dx10 would be better).

Of course you will need to get windows vista to take advantage of dx10, so keep that in mind as well.

I can see why you want to raid 0 your storage now. I still think 1 TB is over excessive for a couple hundred movies (unless they're DVD rips).

Yep all movies are dvd rips. I'm gonna be using Windows media centre until the prices drop to a reasonable level for Vista. I did originally plan to charge people £25 to use the server as £25x300 pupils = £7,500 which would certainly help abit in the creating of this computer and improvement of the range of services provided but unfortunately it is only legal under copyright laws if I leave it as a free service for people within the Lan server and then claim that we are a private community without financial benefit. Not looking forward to Hd-discs/ bluray as thats gonna eat up hardrive space like the plague. . I have still got room for one more hardrive in my case so theres always room for expansion.

Matt

btw. does anyone know wether having a added email service with all the latest updates daily is legal under copyright laws if I say it is for people who give a donation as it could be classed as financial gain but is not directly associated with the media which is protected??

saltynay said:
good point johnny but according to threads on here it's better to get a decent brand Psu which is higher then needed Wattage capacity as It's less likely to fail or be gradually degraded through maximum use so less likely to breeak and cause a power surge which would knock out other parts.

Matt

Yeah thats right, i wouldnt bother with anymore than 500-600 though, assuming its a good brand like OCZ etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom