XP Screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben2the4th

In Runtime
When I first turned on my computer it was on XP and it was already installed. But when it said to activate windows I couldn't because the computer was very slow with 60 processes running. I thought that I could activate windows by popping in the CD in the Windows XP booklet. But once it started installing it stopped at Installing Windows>Installing devices>35 Min. left. I left it on for a night and it still was on that same screen. When I took the CD out I realized that I had actually put in a backup CD. Now every time I turn on the computer it will go to some setup screens for windows and it always freezes. How do I get Windows to work? Im desperate to fix this problem.

Now that my Uncle screwed with it........It keeps rebooting over and over. It goes to the setup screen and then goes to a black screen with the cursor still there and then restarts over and over again.

Do you have the original Windows XP cd? Or the windows cd that came with the manufacture PC? So long as you have that and the CD-KEY you can run a repair on the Windows XP system and this will fix it. Once you boot off the XP CD the first screen will appear just hit ESC then F8 to accept the agreement.. (if I recall these steps in the right order) then it will say "looking for previous versions of windows" it will find your old one located at C:\WINDOWS then it will ask you if you want to repair you push "R" and the repair process will begin.

If you are getting stuck through the installation then it could be the CD is dirty, the CD-ROM drive is dirty. I would clean the CD-ROM drive and if that doesnt work isntall another CD-ROM drive and see if that works.

I don't have the original CD. I have only the manufacturer CD but once I press the esc. button nothing happens.

Does it start the Windows XP setup screen when you boot off the CD? You may have to set this up in the BIOS. It will say push any key to boot from cd.....

You're BIOS settings are correct then. So when you press a key nothing happens? I think the best way to solve this is format the harddisk and install Windows XP fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom