What is SLI? on a psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Org

In Runtime
I been looking for a new psu and found one I like.

But I don't under stand what SLI ready means.

Whats SLI used for? Will I never need it?

Also if a psu says its 24-pin power connector with detachable 4-pin section that means its will work with a 24 or 20 main connector mobo right?

SLI means that it is compatible with Nvidia's SLI (usually by just having 2 PCIE power connectors)

To power 2 graphics cards. If you want to go SLI or crossfire than yes.

Yep - just remove or add the 4 pins. :)

I recommend you take that Antec, but do a search for its compatibility with your motherboard. If you can't find any results that's a good sign. Earlier versions of the SmartPower (and other Antec psu's like NeoHE) proved to be incompatible with certain motherboards. Although newegg usually sells revised versions, you would possibly end up with an old version. But definitely get the Antec psu if you can't find an incompatability issue.

Not really sure where to look if its compatible or not.

My mobo is a gigabyte technology co. ltd model number: 8IPE1000-G

Did a search for the name/model number with my mobo model for both psu on google nothing jumped out.

I think he meant read through the reviews on newegg, but a google search is good too.

If you didn't find anything then that means you are probably fine. Enjoy your new power supply.

I don't recommend the Antec SP-500 model. I have one, It just died on me after 3-4 months of use. Get another PSU. I'm still looking around to see what I will buy to replace it....

Hope that helps!

---- EDIT BELOW ----

Info to add. New Egg's review of the SP-500 also agrees with what I posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom