Motherboard Broken??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wado

Solid State Member
I had some problems with my network card when my power cable came out of the computer while it was on. I followed an online guide which said to unplug the power, take the card out, plug the power back in for a couple of minutes, unplug it again and then reinstall the card!!!!!!!

Anyway after doing that the computer failed to boot correctly. When counting the RAM it goes really slow, and rather than doing it all in one go it does it in sections. I tried resetting the bios by removing the CMOS battery for 2mins and this allowed me to start the computer. However it won't let me enter bios when starting up and it still counts the RAM really slowly. Oh and the network card still doesn't work (it just says the network cable is unplugged all the time).

I've just tried putting a spare (formatted) hard drive in, to try and install windows etc on that to see if that works. But it won't boot up it says NTLDR is missing. I assume because it doesn't know what type of hard disk it is or something???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, the power coming out of the computer while it is on won't (or shouldn't) hurt anything. However it is possible (I guess) to have put a power surge to the motherboard. Like say the power supply suddenly lost then regained power, it may have sent a spike through the lines.

As for the NTLDR, http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

I've had problems with motherboards counting up the RAM slowly due to hardware changes before, so that probably doesn't matter for now, but usually you can skip this test by pressing escape, but it also depends on the model. once you get your card working that should solve the ram check problem

as for your card, i'd agree with crazed that the power is just a coincidence, although it's possible that it's related.

i'd look around in the bios (if you can) for networking card options, or any PCI options and stuff that's related. if you have a spare card try that, or buy a new one, they come pretty cheap.

it's probably a broken card though, what model is it?

hope this helps

it's strange though because i have a network card built into the motherboard and a separate PCI one, both of which now don't work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the PCI one. What concerns me more is the fact i can't get into bios at all!!! Is there a way to edit it through windows or get to it in a DOS prompt or anything???? Cos ideally i'd like to use a formatted HD and reinstall all the drivers and stuff.

External card is D-Link DFE-530TX, internal one is an intel one.

you have to install windows on the hdd for it to boot, i imagine windows is not installed. get your xp(or 98, me, 2000, etc) disk and get it to boot, when its all installed go to the mobo manufactures website and get an updated bios and try to install that. that should help you to get in.

or get the updated bios on a diff pc, put it on a floppy, put it in that pc, let it boot from the floppy and update the bios.

ps: whats your pc specs? (mobo, ram, psu, cpu)

The specs on the computer are:
P4, 3.06GHz 2GB RAM (133MHz) , the PSU is a Tagan 430W.
I got given the PC and don't know who manufactured the mobo, the string in the bottom left is I875P-6A79BG02C-00, i've searched on google but didn't find anything. At the top of the first screen it says its an intel AGPSet BIOS.

So who does that mean is the manufacturer of the mobo??

if you can't get into the bios thats a serious issue. are you sure it doesnt stop when it's checking NVRAM?

open your computer and look for a logo or a model number and post that. you might want to talk to your motherboard manufacturer (after you find out who makes it) and they might send you a new chip to pop in, or they might run you through some steps. based on what you said, it looks like you have an intel board

also, if your comptuer is booting to windows, i guarentee you you can get into BIOS. try holding down whatever key it is from the moment you turn your computer on until it goes into bios

What a tool!! It was right in the middle of the fricking board. It's a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Rev. 1.0). It does stop when it's checking the RAM every 90000ish K.
Holding delete to enter bios, skips the RAM counting but when i held it down for over 2mins it did nothing else. The last line it printed was 'memory runs at dual channel'.

Im trying to install windows on a formatted HD, and i can't using this broken machine. Can i install windows with the HD in a different computer and then move it across or does the installation differ for different PC's? (If that makes sense??!)

no you can't install it on another machine, windows will freak out and give you the blue screen of death

well, NVRAM is different than RAM. it sounds like its checking the RAM, but if it were stopping at NVRAM you'd need a new chip. the delete key might just be to bypass ram check. are you sure delete is the key for bios? try ctrl+alt+esc

it says hit delete to enter setup/... bios/q-flash. Escape is the key to bypass RAM. ctrl+alt+esc did nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom